Re: Windows 10 to 11

Ogee wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:24 pm Looks like MS are going to make things more difficult for older machine users with their upcoming Windows 11 24H2 update release.

Microsoft raising Windows 11 24H2 system requirement to block CPUs without SSE4.2 and PopCnt
Do you use windows 11 or still on 10? Im on 10 tried to upgrade but said my 3 year old dell pc doesn't meet requirements lol whatever

boytoy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:33 pm Do you use windows 11 or still on 10? Im on 10 tried to upgrade but said my 3 year old dell pc doesn't meet requirements lol whatever
Yeah, the first video shows the exact steps to get a win10 machine to accept win 11 without up grading the cpu and should still work fine. It just makes some changes to the software to not bother to check.

The second video is of a new press release from MS saying they plan, in the next major win 11 update, to make the requirements even higher so more old cpu's won't pass but the fix in the first video may well still work.

Myself I actually had to buy a new computer just last week when the motherboard on the old one failed so I am now win 11.

Ogee wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:50 pm Yeah, the first video shows the exact steps to get a win10 machine to accept win 11 without up grading the cpu and should still work fine. It just makes some changes to the software to not bother to check.

The second video is of a new press release from MS saying they plan, in the next major win 11 update, to make the requirements even higher so more old cpu's won't pass but the fix in the first video may well still work.

Myself I actually had to buy a new computer just last week when the motherboard on the old one failed so I am now win 11.
Thanks I'm a bit worried if I bypass and upgrade to Windows 11 it might be too heavy on my system with 8GB ram but I'm gonna give it a try... did you use Windows 11 on your old pc before you got the new computer??

boytoy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:56 pm Thanks I'm a bit worried if I bypass and upgrade to Windows 11 it might be too heavy on my system with 8GB ram but I'm gonna give it a try... did you use Windows 11 on your old pc before you got the new computer??
You will certainly be fine using to steps in the first video and the ram will be fine too for base win 11 function. MS are looking for win 11 to future run some resource heavy AI and multi-tasking apps which may overheat older cpu's but which many people won't want or need to install anyway.

Better to try the get-round than sticking with win 10 and no security updates.

My old computer was 8 years old win 10 and I was going to upgrade to win 11 using the first vid tutorial, it looked reasonably straight forward.

A good tool for occasional checking of your system is this free one.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
These users thanked the author Ogee for the post:
boytoy