QuestionCuriosity, when to start trading from a retail to professional platform?

Not that I am up to that level but I'm very curious and I have always wondered about it.

I have met traders who are very happy stuck with retail and with their account size and 1:100 leverage, can trade up to 1,000 dollars a pip without much slippage or rejection or partial fills at the price they want.

• But, at what level of $/pip have you tried?
  • At what level of $/pip is maximum on a retail broker?
  • What is the next step to a professional account?
  • If anyone knows what are the benefits to a pro account?
  • How do you go about doing this?

I have also heard of some traders with multiple accounts trading the same price at the same time using different brokers, using a custom algo. Seems reasonable, maybe a way to limit risk.

Cheers!

Re: Curiosity, when to start trading from a retail to professional platform?

cheunt3 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:45 pm Not that I am up to that level but I'm very curious and I have always wondered about it.

I have met traders who are very happy stuck with retail and with their account size and 1:100 leverage, can trade up to 1,000 dollars a pip without much slippage or rejection or partial fills at the price they want.

I have also heard of some traders with multiple accounts trading the same price at the same time using different brokers, using a custom algo. Seems reasonable, maybe a way to limit risk.

Cheers!
I'm just curious what is the account size they own to trade with $1000/ pip...?
for Major Pairs usually is $10/pip 1 lot..so $1000/pip is equal to 100 lots. Their account size are million or billion?

andrei-1 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:51 am Is the limit of 10 entries of 100 lots not enough for you :mistake: ? That's $1 million for 1% of the price. 10% is 10 million. If 10 million a month is not enough for an ordinary person, he needs the help of a psychiatrist. :D
You and I may think it's not normal but there are people not like you and me. No point wasting time arguing about what others do, right?
These users thanked the author cheunt3 for the post:
andrei-1

cheunt3 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:45 pm

The regulators have become increasingly dictatorial over the years, the thinking being that they are protecting the retail trader from losing all their money though that still stands at around 70% as admitted by most brokers.

So in many countries now regulators demand that retail traders have negative account protection, professional traders don't.
Retail have tight restrictions on leverage, Prof have access to far greater leverage.
Profs use to be able to negotiate special deals around spreads etc but regulators are clamping down on such perks.
In the UK Profs need to show half a million £ in assets (in case their account goes negative in a 'black swan event').
They also need to show a degree of knowledge and experience of trading before being granted Prof status.
Different countries have different criteria and they are all a bit vague so you won't know until you actually apply to the broker.
You probably won't need to consider going Prof until you have spent quite a few years as a retail trader and have a proven system and have developed the psychological skills required to implement it at a large scale.
These users thanked the author Ogee for the post:
cheunt3

Ogee wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:12 pm The regulators have become increasingly dictatorial over the years, the thinking being that they are protecting the retail trader from losing all their money though that still stands at around 70% as admitted by most brokers.

So in many countries now regulators demand that retail traders have negative account protection, professional traders don't.
Retail have tight restrictions on leverage, Prof have access to far greater leverage.
Profs use to be able to negotiate special deals around spreads etc but regulators are clamping down on such perks.
In the UK Profs need to show half a million £ in assets (in case their account goes negative in a 'black swan event').
They also need to show a degree of knowledge and experience of trading before being granted Prof status.
Different countries have different criteria and they are all a bit vague so you won't know until you actually apply to the broker.
You probably won't need to consider going Prof until you have spent quite a few years as a retail trader and have a proven system and have developed the psychological skills required to implement it at a large scale.
Cheers man.

I'm very curious to accessing deeper pools of liquidity if there is such a thing when you go pro.

I still have no clue on the upper limits of what size of the position that can be achieved. Sure you need a counterparty to your order but since the forex market is 3 trillion I think then I'm guessing almost anything is possible.

Ahhh just greedy thinking. Still a way to go to get there. If ever.