Re: Skimming Swallow - a Simple Trend Strategy

Xielin, I really like the LWMA200 on most pairs. It's much better than EMA200 or SMA200. What I don't like is the CSS, which consists of centered_TMA. Repainting stuff can never be a leading indicator as Steve and some others on his site tries to tell the people. It can be used offline for analysis and calibration of a given setup. CSM or CCFp who likes it for picking the weakest currency against strongest currency.

Will post tomorrow some more pics.

Krelian99 wrote:Xielin, I really like the LWMA200 on most pairs. It's much better than EMA200 or SMA200. What I don't like is the CSS, which consists of centered_TMA. Repainting stuff can never be a leading indicator as Steve and some others on his site tries to tell the people. It can be used offline for analysis and calibration of a given setup. CSM or CCFp who likes it for picking the weakest currency against strongest currency.

Will post tomorrow some more pics.
Hi Krelian,
   I don't like repainting indis either but the latest CSS has non-repainting feature. Here's the story I read from a number of threads:

1. the original TMA slope and all the CSS using TMA slope were repainting. It has to look into the future.

2. In this TMA reality tour thread, zznbrm proposed a non-repainting method to calculate TMA slope. I read his code and ported the code to other platform. It is non-repainting. But strictly speaking, it's not TMA, but kinds of LWMA.

3. Later on, in this TMA discussion thread, everything was cleared up and zznbrm's version was used to calculate TMA slope as an option. So, the latest CSS or TMA slope indis by Baluda or NeoTrader has a specific option "ignoreFuture" to use non-repainting TMA slope.

But after some side-by-side comparisons with TDI, I found that the crossover in CSS is nearly identical to the crossover of PL and TSL in TDI. It is acceptable to me. Right now, I prefer TDI-MTF (again by zznbrm) because it's truly MTF, without interpolation or step-like feature.

xielin wrote:
Hi Krelian,
   I don't like repainting indis either but the latest CSS has non-repainting feature. Here's the story I read from a number of threads:

1. the original TMA slope and all the CSS using TMA slope were repainting. It has to look into the future.

2. In this TMA reality tour thread on Forex Factory, zznbrm proposed a non-repainting method to calculate TMA slope. I read his code and ported the code to other platform. It is non-repainting. But strictly speaking, it's not TMA, but kinds of LWMA.

3. Later on, in a TMA discussion thread in the Steve Hopwood forex forum, everything was cleared up and zznbrm's version was used to calculate TMA slope as an option. So, the latest CSS or TMA slope indis by Baluda or NeoTrader has a specific option "ignoreFuture" to use non-repainting TMA slope.

But after some side-by-side comparisons with TDI, I found that the crossover in CSS is nearly identical to the crossover of PL and TSL in TDI. It is acceptable to me. Right now, I prefer TDI-MTF (again by zznbrm) because it's truly MTF, without interpolation or step-like feature.
I am not going to copy the whole thread, but as far as centered TMA (and I repeat centered TMA, TMA is something else) is concerned and since it was me that made the centered TMA in the form it exists all over the net used in MT code, it was explained a long time ago what it is and what it is not. Here is one link : Triangular moving average

In any case it seems that the need for at least the start of that thread still exists, and it will be posted again as it was - too much confusion and opinions about centered TMA without real information caused too much confusion

mladen wrote:
I am not going to copy the whole thread, but as far as centered TMA (and I repeat centered TMA, TMA is something else) is concerned and since it was me that made the centered TMA in the form it exists all over the net used in MT code, it was explained a long time ago what it is and what it is not. Here is one link : Triangular moving average

In any case it seems that the need for at least the start of that thread still exists, and it will be posted again as it was - too much confusion and opinions about centered TMA without real information caused too much confusion
   With all my respect, I did read your thread long time ago. I also read zznbrm's code and the slope is calculated using a variation of LWMA. But it seems the term TMA is preferred and people still use it. Anyway, thanks for clarifying the old story again.

Best wishes,
Lin

xielin wrote:
Hi mladen,
   With all my respect, I did read your thread long time ago. I also read zznbrm's code and the slope is calculated using a variation of LWMA. But it seems the term TMA is preferred and people still use it. Anyway, thanks for clarifying the old story again.

Best wishes,
Lin
Lin

On Forex Factory forum it first became the (with all the big bells announcement) non-repainting "TMA true" until someone (lucky me) explained there that it (the "TMA true") is nothing but a LWMA. And if you get the cryptic variable names out of the equation, it is easy to see the origin of the code (since the centered TMA did not exist in that form before, again lucky me, made it)

In any case, centered TMA is one of the cases when I really regretted that I have ever made it. I wish I could forget about it but every now and then it resurfaces with new strength