Re: Volatility Indicators for MT4

Variance indicator by Mladen

From Mladen Rakic

The standard deviation is a measure of how much a dataset differs from its mean; it tells us how dispersed the data are. A dataset that’s pretty much clumped around a single point would have a small standard deviation, while a dataset that’s all over the map would have a large standard deviation.

Given a sample the standard deviation is defined as the square root of the variance

Here you can find a Welford’s method for computing (single pass method) that avoids errors in some cases (if the variance is small compared to the square of the mean, and computing the difference leads catastrophic cancellation where significant leading digits are eliminated, and the result has a large relative error)

berserkyjc wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:34 am Dear Mrtools

Could you please add a moving average into this Variance indicator?

This Variance is in a seperate sub window.
Pleae add an extra line (moving average) to the indicate. that'd make the Variance indicator has two lines.
I know this can be done within the MT4 terminal by hand. I'm trying to make EA by FXDREEMA. this function cann't be done unless Variance with a MA line of itself is in the same indicator.

thank you very much.
Added the ma of variance.
These users thanked the author mrtools for the post (total 8):
Chickenspicy, Jedidiah, berserkyjc, yoake, alexm, Krunal Gajjar, 太虚一毫, Jimmy

my great appreciation.

for all the works, and those great details!!
mrtools wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:52 am From Mladen Rakic

The standard deviation is a measure of how much a dataset differs from its mean; it tells us how dispersed the data are. A dataset that’s pretty much clumped around a single point would have a small standard deviation, while a dataset that’s all over the map would have a large standard deviation.

Given a sample the standard deviation is defined as the square root of the variance

Here you can find a Welford’s method for computing (single pass method) that avoids errors in some cases (if the variance is small compared to the square of the mean, and computing the difference leads catastrophic cancellation where significant leading digits are eliminated, and the result has a large relative error)
Added the ma of variance.

mrtools wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:52 am Here you can find a Welford’s method for computing (single pass method) that avoids errors in some cases (if the variance is small compared to the square of the mean, and computing the difference leads catastrophic cancellation where significant leading digits are eliminated, and the result has a large relative error)

hi mr tools,

is it possible to update this indicator with latest eaverages pack, plus signal filtering option and on/off button?
I see potential in this indicator to filter out ranging markets. with current available MA, it is still slow.

Thank you very much.

sylvester21 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:29 pm hi mr tools,

is it possible to update this indicator with latest eaverages pack, plus signal filtering option and on/off button?
I see potential in this indicator to filter out ranging markets. with current available MA, it is still slow.

Thank you very much.
Variance MA with Averages Filters

Added button and some averages...
These users thanked the author kvak for the post (total 8):
太虚一毫, sylvester21, ionone, Jimmy, RodrigoRT7, Jedidiah, pail1217, pipsquirrel