Re: Moving Average indicators for MT4

Does anyone know if there is a moving average/filter that is partially weighted towards staying flat unless new highs/lows are made? It might be more in the adaptive/digital filters realm, and this may not be the thread for it.

The idea behind it is that when a price is retracing/no longer exploring new new highs or new lows range, the advance of "fair" price tends to slow. Price will often retrace to near where an average was when the retracement started, but there can be significant overshoot while the moving average incorporates falling or ranging price action.
"Perfect" systems are generally fragile...

fuglaa wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:51 am Does anyone know if there is a moving average/filter that is partially weighted towards staying flat unless new highs/lows are made? It might be more in the adaptive/digital filters realm, and this may not be the thread for it.

The idea behind it is that when a price is retracing/no longer exploring new new highs or new lows range, the advance of "fair" price tends to slow. Price will often retrace to near where an average was when the retracement started, but there can be significant overshoot while the moving average incorporates falling or ranging price action.
I believe DSL indicators do that. Try them. There are a lot coded by mrtools & mladen
These users thanked the author Darks for the post:
fuglaa

Darks wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:19 pm

I believe DSL indicators do that. Try them. There are a lot coded by mrtools & mladen
I appreciate the pointer! Looked through that thread - not quite what I was thinking about, but that thread has some wicked cool work in it :thumbup:

Really It's more that I'm looking for something that would track fair price better than a standard fixed MA for the purposes of retracement entries (ala tpo/market profile, but without fixed intervals)
"Perfect" systems are generally fragile...

Darks wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:59 am Posting another variation of vaMA. This the Step vaMA indicator. It is using Mladen's Step Atr method.
Indicator posted above has an issue I don't know if anyone who used noticed. It seems some functions just need to be rewritten for MQL4.
Still learning.

Anyway here is the updated version.
These users thanked the author Darks for the post (total 3):
Holmes27, thomdel, Thangarasu

LikeRe: Moving Average indicators for MT4

mrtools wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:31 am

Make sure the name is the same as the posted version, from what i understand some browsers(Firefox) renames the files when you download.
Your explanation is correct. I changed the download method and the problem has been solved. In addition, it has been a long time, and I still don’t know how to thank (these users thank someone for their posts), how to do it?