[QuantSchool] is using MTF a good idea?

I never EVER use MTF in my strategies

the reason being is that MTF is always delayed compared to a direct indicator with bigger period.

for instance in these pictures, I used a MTF MA of period 2 but on a daily MTF on a H1 chart
and I also added a simple MA of period 48 ((24 hours per day times period of MA = 24 x 2 = 48)
and as you can see, the MTF is very delayed and late.

what I would do instead of using MTF features is to augment the period of the indicator by the same amount.

just multiply the period of your indicator by the number of bars inside a higher timeframe.
For example, instead of suing a MTF EMA of period 20 on a D1 Timeframe, use a MA of period 20x24 = 480

you will *always* have earlier signals than when using MTF

MTF is just removing information and making it thus making it less responsive
I don't see any advantage in using MTF

If you really need the "stepping" feature I would rahter recommend using a "step" indicator like the one below
These users thanked the author ionone for the post:
boytoy

Re: [QuantSchool] is using MTF a good idea ?

You are right I dont use multi timeframe modes except for a guide and newbies should be careful with MTF when first starting out.

But auto higher timeframe (AHTF MTF) is a different story because you can see lower timeframes on higher timeframe charts. What do you think of it? For example this Ichimoku was one of the first indicators that could display lower timeframe on higher timeframe charts.

These users thanked the author ChuChu Rocket for the post:
boytoy

ChuChu Rocket wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:25 pm You are right I dont use multi timeframe modes except for a guide and newbies should be careful with MTF when first starting out.

But auto higher timeframe (AHTF MTF) is a different story because you can see lower timeframes on higher timeframe charts. What do you think of it? For example this Ichimoku was one of the first indicators that could display lower timeframe on higher timeframe charts.

auto higher TF is the same as MTF.

whereas you have a M15 indicator on a 1H Chart or H1 MTF on M15 chart it will result in the same thing
you cannot put 4 bars of M15 in one bar of H1, so you'll end up with ONE M15 bar in a H1 chart which is exactly the same as H1 MTF on a M15 chart

Jeff

ionone wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:06 pm auto higher TF is the same as MTF.

whereas you have a M15 indicator on a 1H Chart or H1 MTF on M15 chart it will result in the same thing
you cannot put 4 bars of M15 in one bar of H1, so you'll end up with ONE M15 bar in a H1 chart which is exactly the same as H1 MTF on a M15 chart

Jeff
Yeah I know that but I was asking what your thoughts are on using the auto higher timeframe in reverse, the other way around like the image above. For example:
  • 1 hour chart
  • Have a 1 hour Kumo cloud (current timeframe)
  • Also have a another Kumo Cloud stacked but use AHTF MTF in reverse and set it's display to 15 min (on the 1 hour chart)
  • Use it for crosses etc.
Everything is in realtime. No delay or recalculating due to MTF you're seeing the hourly chart with the lower 15 min Kumo as well.

Please check out the above image for example. Would you use this? I think you would agree it's worthy due to it being in realtime right?

Edit: All AHTF MTF indicators can use lower timeframes too
These users thanked the author ChuChu Rocket for the post:
boytoy

ChuChu Rocket wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:47 pm Yeah I know that but I was asking what your thoughts are on using the auto higher timeframe in reverse, the other way around like the image above. For example:
  • 1 hour chart
  • Have a 1 hour Kumo cloud (current timeframe)
  • Also have a another Kumo Cloud stacked but use AHTF MTF in reverse and set it's display to 15 min (on the 1 hour chart)
  • Use it for crosses etc.
Everything is in realtime. No delay or recalculating due to MTF you're seeing the hourly chart with the lower 15 min Kumo as well.

Please check out the above image for example. Would you use this? I think you would agree it's worthy due to it being in realtime right?

Edit: All AHTF MTF indicators can use lower timeframes too
I understood what you meant. just read again what I wrote.
being on M15 and using MTF H1 or being on H1 and using MTF M15 is the same basically, you even lose the details of the M15 if you"re on H1 using M15

QuestionRe: [QuantSchool] is using MTF a good idea ?

ionone wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 1:22 am I understood what you meant. just read again what I wrote.
being on M15 and using MTF H1 or being on H1 and using MTF M15 is the same basically, you even lose the details of the M15 if you"re on H1 using M15
How do you lose the details of the M15 if you are using a current 1H chart and also setting a lower time frame indicator to display on the current chart?

I just did what Chu Chu Rocket explained and placed two instances of that Ichimoku indicator on a 1H chart. One with Current Time Frame and the other with 15M - sorry about the messy chart but I am not seeing any loss of data on the 1H Ichimoku nor the M15 with lower timeframe selected 🤷‍♀️

Can you test it Jeff

1H chart with two Ichimoku AHTF MTF indicators (Kumo Cloud only) M15 chart's Ichimoku (Kumo Cloud only)
These users thanked the author boytoy for the post:
ChuChu Rocket

boytoy wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:08 pm How do you lose the details of the M15 if you are using a current 1H chart and also setting a lower time frame indicator to display on the current chart?

I just did what Chu Chu Rocket explained and placed two instances of that Ichimoku indicator on a 1H chart. One with Current Time Frame and the other with 15M - sorry about the messy chart but I am not seeing any loss of data on the 1H Ichimoku nor the M15 with lower timeframe selected 🤷‍♀️

Can you test it Jeff

1H chart with two Ichimoku AHTF MTF indicators (Kumo Cloud only)
Testing Multi Timeframe modes Ichimoku.png

M15 chart's Ichimoku (Kumo Cloud only)
Testing Multi Timeframe modes Ichimoku - 15 minute AHTF MTF.png
if you use a M15 lower timeframe on a H1 chart, you will only have bars of 1 hour, not 15 minutes. only the last current value will be that of a M15 chart
you cannot put 4 values of M15 inside a H1 chart. that's why you lose definition