DislikeSite shutdown today from .RAR virus files uploaded?

francisfinley stimpy wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:24 pm FYI - dont open random files like that from the internet - even if someone says its legit.
Guys it looks like malicious actors have been into the forex-station website and we have to change our passwords.

NEVER DOWNLOAD OR OPEN FILES YOU ARE UNSURE OF - I know the pursuit of money warps brains and this is no different but you have got to be careful downloading and opening stuff.
The rar file didn't look legitimate so I didn't open/run those files.

1. Please scan your pc using a FULL virus scan - AVG/AVAST/Microsoft Defender & also run Malware Bytes once over. (You do not need to pay for these - select free/trial versions).
2. If your email address and password is used for any other service online go and change that password immediately.

Good practices

a) Never download or open/run anything you are unsure of - check twice.
b) Use a different password for each service you use - use a password manager.
These users thanked the author francisfinley stimpy for the post (total 6):
Jimmy, Banzai, Chickenspicy, boytoy, ChuChu Rocket, Jedidiah

ExclamationSite shutdown today from .RAR virus files uploaded?

Okay, who's got the viruses?

Dearest Forex Station family,

This morning at 10:00am (Australian time) we noticed .RAR files which were uploaded to posts that contained garbled files and viruses. As soon as I saw this I shut down the whole board to prevent anyone from downloading further.

Today, Mrtools and I have been working together as well as consulting with with the developers (and host) to beef up our security and make sure everything is 100% solid on our site as well as remove those .RAR files with viruses. They are now fully CLEANED.

We still have to make sure that everything is working properly to restore the site.

Please bear with us over the next 24 hours, we will be running several security and software updates this weekend. The site will be available, but we may need to restart and test our backend which will cause some downtime.

We will keep you all up to date.

Every single one of our members must at least have Malwarebytes (free version) on their systems.

Guys, if you don't have any protection you need to at least have the free version of Malwarebytes on your PC. Run a "Full Scan" and be sure your files are clean before posting them up.

This has been an absolute headfuck for us. Members, you need to make sure the stuff you're uploading isn't viruses!

Jimmy.
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post (total 10):
boytoy, sal, RplusT, sizabici, Jedidiah, xard777, Skyold, sylvester21, Chickenspicy, Lumios
Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

Re: Site shutdown today from .RAR virus files uploaded?

Jimmy wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:39 pm Dearest Forex Station family,

Thank you again for your patience during the restoration and clean-up of our site.

Today, Mrtools and I have been working together as well as consulting with with the developers (and host) to beef up our security and make sure everything is 100% solid on our site.

We still have to make sure that everything is working properly to restore the site.

Please bear with us over the next 24 hours we will be running a several security and software updates this weekend. The site will be available, but we may need to restart and test our backend which will cause some downtime.

We will keep you all up to date.

Jimmy.

Quick question: I noticed there are some posts that have gone missing as a result of what has happened with the updates.

viewtopic.php?t=8413428#p1295517218

viewtopic.php?p=1295517224#p1295517224

These are two examples of posts I had loaded before the updates. Will they be restored when all is said and done?

Re: Site shutdown today from .RAR virus files uploaded?

TransparentTrader wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:09 pm Quick question: I noticed there are some posts that have gone missing as a result of what has happened with the updates.

viewtopic.php?t=8413428#p1295517218

viewtopic.php?p=1295517224#p1295517224

These are two examples of posts I had loaded before the updates. Will they be restored when all is said and done?
Thank you for posting and replying.

No. Sadly, today, we've had to restore the entire site from our secure backup server (that creates backups twice a day) to ensure everything is back to normal. So essentially, the site was restored, as-is 12 hours ago. So anything that was posted after 1:00am last night, Australian time (11:00 am Thursday, New York) will not be here :sad:

Over the weekend we still need to run tests and keep a watchful eye on our logs and everything else.

Please accept our apologies for the downtime and having to revert the site back to an earlier time - it's the only option we had and it's a huge shame, but that's why we run two backups per day to help us restore to an earlier time with the least amount of (new) posts and files lost.
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post (total 5):
TransparentTrader, sylvester21, sizabici, Jedidiah, Chickenspicy

Re: Security updates today and this weekend

Jimmy wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:44 pm Thank you for posting and replying.

No. Sadly, today, we've had to restore the entire site from our secure backup server (that creates backups twice a day) to ensure everything is back to normal. So essentially, the site was restored, as-is 12 hours ago. So anything that was posted after 1:00am last night, Australian time (11:00 am Thursday, New York) will not be here :sad:

Over the weekend we still need to run tests and keep a watchful eye on our logs and everything else.

Please accept our apologies for the downtime and having to revert the site back to an earlier time - it's the only option we had and it's a huge shame, but that's why we run two backups per day to help us restore to an earlier time with the least amount of posts and files lost.

Unfortunate news but it's good nothing worse happened. Hopefully, nobody posted anything of major importance for that short period of time.

Good thing you guys have twice-daily backups. I couldn't even begin to imagine what would happen if the loss was more substantial!
These users thanked the author TransparentTrader for the post (total 2):
Jimmy, Chickenspicy

No more RAR files

Further update

RAR files are now out of the game and have been disabled. From now on if you need to post something "archived" make it a ZIP file please and nothing else.

There are quite a few existing RAR files on our site and we understand that they may be of importance so if there's something from a specific post, or if you're a member who wants their RAR files, let us know and we will retrieve it on our end, repackage it in a ZIP file and re-upload it (or send it to you).

This has to be done for now until we are 110% certain that our site is free from bullshit.

Thanks.
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post (total 9):
mrtools, alif, xard777, sizabici, Jedidiah, moey_dw, BeatlemaniaSA, Skyold, Chickenspicy