Re: iVar Browser

Jimmy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 pm This is Mrtools's iVar Browser for MT4.

It's a beautiful indicator but a rather complex tool (a bit too complex for me), but according to my notes saved at the time, the indicator can be used to display the trend's strength and revolves around the 0.5 line.

Unfortunately, this is one indicator that I didn't save much information on at the time and several sources have different names for it ranging from "Flat Trend detector" to "Variation Index" to "An advanced ADX type of indicator".
Perhaps when Mrtools is free this week he could sum it up for us if we have questions on how to use it but for now, I'll just leave it here in our trend indicators thread :)
iVar Browser

Originally Mladen did the browser version, this is his explanation how this version works::

It takes all the time frames and calculates nBarsvalues of iVar, and then :

- calculates the percentage of bars that are above the required level(this point works on nBarssample, so it is probably the weakest point since, for the sake of the speed it is advisable to use smaller nBarsparameter as well as the lack of data (EURUSD on monthly chart has some 300 bars, so it is far from being a representative sample))
- calculates the duration (in bars) of the current "state" : if the current value is above levelthen it calculates how many bars ago it crossed up and if the current value is bellow levelit calculates how may bars ago it crossed down. Did not convert the duration in bars to time since clearly higher time frames would be always in front of the list if the duration in time was considered

Sorting can be done (with SortByparameter) :

1 : sorted by current values
2 : sorted by duration of the state

all the rest : sorted by the percentage of iVar values above level

And the original author of the iVar indicator(variation index) Llnur Lksanov

Nowadays, the most popular representatives of the fractal time functions are the financial time series. The fractal structure of these series is well-known and
aсcording to Mandelbrot there is a "rewording of the famous market saying that the movement of stocks and currencies is independent of the time scale and the

price. An observer can't tell if the information refers to the weekly, daily or hourly changes just by looking at the appearance of the chart» [1].

Usually, to determine the fractal dimension the Hurst's exponent is calculated [2]. However, for the reliable calculation of this exponent a huge amount of data
is necesary (~ 10^3) and that is too much comparing to the duration of the trends of trading.

The authors [1] interpose the fractal characteristics - the variation index (m) that is closely related to the common fractal dimension. In distinct from the

Hurst's exponent, the amount of information that is necessary for index determination is less by a factor of 2. It leads to use it as a local characteristics for

determination of the dynamics of the price series. If m < 0.5, it can be interpretated as a trend and m > 0.5 - as a flat.

The suggested indicator calculates the variation index on a previous interval which is 2^n long. The "n" parameter is specified by the user.

The common rules of the indicator application are the following:

If the value of the indicator is lower than 0.5 it means the trend state of the market.
The extremely low value is often precedes the end (correction) of the current trend.
If the value of the indicator is higher than 0.5 it means the flat state of the market.
The extremely high value is often precedes the beginning of the considerable trends.
If the value of the indicator is close to 0.5 it means an undefined state of the market.
These users thanked the author mrtools for the post:
Jedidiah

Re: Trend Indicators

Jimmy wrote:Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:28 pm
Remarkable work! I see you have some nice coding skills ionone. You've made a great indicator here! I hope you don't mind, I've posted it up on Social Media and in our Daily Downloads thread for others to see.
ok due to the success (lol) i'm posting the code as well (because i usually don't like when there is not the code)

cheers!

Jeff

the source code is actually identical to mladen's ADXVMA
These users thanked the author ionone for the post:
太虚一毫

LikeRe: Trend Indicators

ionone wrote:Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:04 pm ok due to the success (lol) i'm posting the code as well (because i usually don't like when there is not the code)

cheers!

Jeff

the source code is actually identical to mladen's ADXVMA
Good on you mate for sharing the source code as this is now going be a great reference for new coders and those who are learning how to develop!
These users thanked the author ChuChu Rocket for the post:
Jedidiah
Important: The worst forex brokers of all time 👎

Digital Martingale on Jurik

Digital Martingale with Jurik Smoothing

Digging deeper into our old TSD archives this evening I have come across this gem from the past called the DTM (Digital Martingale) on Jurik by Mrtools. It comes complete with options such as MTF + Interpolation and Alerts and is an interesting indicator for scalping on the lower intraday timeframes.
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post:
Jedidiah
Are you looking for a Forex broker? FBS cuts spreads by up to 58%. Click here to begin your trading journey, today.
No commissions are earned by Forex-station.

Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

Trendstrength Jurik Channel

This is the Trend Strength Jurik Channel with Zig Zag by Mrtools. It's another legendary code from our archives which I couldn't find on our site, and even though it's an older indicator it comes with modern features such as MTF + Interpolation, Arrows, and alerts!

Two indicators are included below. One with channel and a standalone indicator without channel.
Are you looking for a Forex broker? FBS cuts spreads by up to 58%. Click here to begin your trading journey, today.

Trend Quality B Indicators

Here are the Trend Quality B Indicators coded by Mladen.

As explained by Malden:
These indicators are all based on a 2004 April issue of Technical Analysis of Stocks & Commodities article by David Sepiashvili. Originally there were only 2 versions developed by the author, but there were some possibilities that were not explored in that article which lead to developing some more variations of those 2 indicators

Some preface : in the attached article the author does a well job explaining what he felt a 2 most important points of Trend Quality indicators calculation. What is not explained there is how the "direction" (or "reversal" as the coders of tradestation, metastock, amibroker ... call it) is determined. It is a difference of 2 emas (7 and 15 ema by default) and since the difference of 2 emas is by definition macd, it turns out that the additional "spice" in these indicators is macd. It does not make these indicators a "yet another macd" indicator, since they are not that, but I felt it necessary to clarify that point too (to avoid some mis-expectations)

There are 2 "flavors" of Trend Quality indicators : the Q indicator (which is in a strict sense the "quality" indicator) and the B indicator (or a "trend-noise balance indicator") Both of these versions are going to be varied since both can be modified in order to show the whole thing a bit differently.

These 2 are the original indicators.

The main property of the original indicators is that they are not "directional. Instead they are showing the "quality" (or strength) of a current trend) so the usage of levels recommended by David Sepiashvili is essential in these, but the direction of the trend must be determined discretionary by the user of the indicators.

Q indicators are oscillators without a known bound. They use predefined levels in order to determine the strength or the quality of the current trend (those levels are described in the attached document)

The B indicator(s) are bound oscillators and they are having a 0-100 bounds. For the purpose of better visibility of a "signal" ("reversal", or "macd trend" values) minimum is not set to 0. Levels of this indicator are also described in the attached document and are (due to the nature of the indicator) different in values than the Q levels.

Trend Quality Q Indicators

Continuing from the previous post, here are the Trend Quality Q Indicators by Mladen.

Trend Quality Q B MTF Indicators

Here are the Trend Quality Q and B indicators with MTF by Mladen.
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post:
Chickenspicy