Re: Moving Average indicators for MT4

mrtools wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:35 am Try it out.

Thank you!

Works well; no problems yet... I think? Can you help me to understand something?

When I use the MT4 standard ATR oscillator it will show the ATR for a candle (e.g. 58 pips) but when I turn the keltner bands on your indicator with a modifier of 1.0, and measure from the MA to the bands, it does not match the ATR indicator (e.g. keltner is 72 pips from MA, not 58). Both are set to the same period for ATR calculation, and should be very close?

Why is the keltner band ATR 25%(ish) greater than the default MT4 ATR oscillator? Shouldn't it be nearly identical with a 1.0 modifier and same calculation period?

---

Also, a small suggestion for the next version:

The option to display current candle price of MA beside the MA, as well as the option to display the current candle value of the keltner bands (with the ability to customize the position of the price on the X axis for both. Maybe font size/type etc. too?).

Perhaps also include options for showing price of S&R lines?

---

Thanks again, as always, for your amazing codes. Forex wouldn't be the same without you.

Chintzki wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:32 am Thank you!

Works well; no problems yet... I think? Can you help me to understand something?

When I use the MT4 standard ATR oscillator it will show the ATR for a candle (e.g. 58 pips) but when I turn the keltner bands on your indicator with a modifier of 1.0, and measure from the MA to the bands, it does not match the ATR indicator (e.g. keltner is 72 pips from MA, not 58). Both are set to the same period for ATR calculation, and should be very close?

Why is the keltner band ATR 25%(ish) greater than the default MT4 ATR oscillator? Shouldn't it be nearly identical with a 1.0 modifier and same calculation period?

---

Also, a small suggestion for the next version:

The option to display current candle price of MA beside the MA, as well as the option to display the current candle value of the keltner bands (with the ability to customize the position of the price on the X axis for both. Maybe font size/type etc. too?).

Perhaps also include options for showing price of S&R lines?

MA price.png

---

Thanks again, as always, for your amazing codes. Forex wouldn't be the same without you.
About the atr, it could be because I am using Mladens guess you can call it a true Atr and it's values are different than the mt4 built in version.
These users thanked the author mrtools for the post:
Chintzki

Chintzki wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:08 pm Would it be easy to easy to explain the difference please? Maybe I have been using ATR wrong this whole time =X
Best explanation I can give is a quote and example from Mladen: This one is for the "purists"

The way how the code example provided with metatrader 5 calculates ATR (Average True Range) is, for the sake of speed of execution, using the approximation of what should be a simple moving average (SMA) of TR (True Range). While it produces results very, very similar to simple moving averages, it is still not it. This version is doing that (calculating without an approximation) and it is doing it without slowing down either - the speed of execution will be the same for any period calculated. And it does not require any additional buffer allocation
Attachments
Chintzki

mrtools wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:09 am Best explanation I can give is a quote and example from Mladen: This one is for the "purists"

The way how the code example provided with metatrader 5 calculates ATR (Average True Range) is, for the sake of speed of execution, using the approximation of what should be a simple moving average (SMA) of TR (True Range). While it produces results very, very similar to simple moving averages, it is still not it. This version is doing that (calculating without an approximation) and it is doing it without slowing down either - the speed of execution will be the same for any period calculated. And it does not require any additional buffer allocation

I will have to review this a few times to understand I think.

Thank you for explaining it.

sixthsensetrading wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:31 am Dear Mr Tools
i found this indicator and i think it is made by you or Malden please remove the errors from it so it works again

sorry i found the better verson of maladen center tma and ma crooss can you just add arrow alert on main chart to this

Try this version.
太虚一毫

Chintzki wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:56 am Good day Mr.Tools,

Thanks for your response.

I woke this morning and had one final idea to add: Perhaps an alert/arrow for when the price breaks the bands, should you add the function in question.

Either way, thanks again. With or without the changes your MA indicator is easily the best around.

I do have one other question. There is a similar indicator to yours called "AllAverages_v4.9_600", I'm sure you know it, which has many types of averages that yours does not. I am curious why you have chosen not to add some of these to your indicator? My best guess is that the formula are proprietary and you do not wish to infringe on the original author(s)? I have included the "AllAverages_v4.9_600" for reference, although I did slightly modify it to alphabetize the MA list order because I found it frustrating to navigate at times.

Have a good day!
@Chintzki
Found a bug with this version.
Super Smoother by J.Ehlers doesn't seem to work.
This has me a bit concerned.