Please take a few minutes to read our rules before posting: Forex-Station's Rules. Are you following them?

Newbie with alert bells ringing

Hi everyone, want to start off by saying how amazing this community is. The quality of information, activity and people genuinely helping out their fellow trader is awesome!

Having said that I'm hoping someone can help me with my "alerts" issue. Quite a few of the indicators I've tested (not all), alerts go off whenever I toggle between other pairs or time frames. Example: I receive an alert on a 1hr chart, I click on a lower time frame to access. When ever I click back on the 1hr the alert goes off. If I click on another currency pair and come back the alert goes off again. It just keeps going off whenever I click on it. Is this an MT4 issue or is there a way to have alerts go off just one time per bar? I have the option of "alert on current bar" set as false.

Again, this doesn't happen with all indicators, but enough of them to have me curious whether it'something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Re: Newbie with alert bells ringing

pffaustt wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:40 am Hi everyone, want to start off by saying how amazing this community is. The quality of information, activity and people genuinely helping out their fellow trader is awesome!

Having said that I'm hoping someone can help me with my "alerts" issue. Quite a few of the indicators I've tested (not all), alerts go off whenever I toggle between other pairs or time frames. Example: I receive an alert on a 1hr chart, I click on a lower time frame to access. When ever I click back on the 1hr the alert goes off. If I click on another currency pair and come back the alert goes off again. It just keeps going off whenever I click on it. Is this an MT4 issue or is there a way to have alerts go off just one time per bar? I have the option of "alert on current bar" set as false.

Again, this doesn't happen with all indicators, but enough of them to have me curious whether it'something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
Welcome here, about the alerts issue,it's hard to say what the issue could be without looking in the code.

mrtools wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:47 am

Welcome here, about the alerts issue,it's hard to say what the issue could be without looking in the code.
From my experience, I think it's the data reloading. When I'm reviewing the charts, this happens when I switch TFs and the condition for the alert has recently occurred. As a result, I just turn off alerts until after I'm done assessing the charts.

pffaustt wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:40 am Hi everyone, want to start off by saying how amazing this community is. The quality of information, activity and people genuinely helping out their fellow trader is awesome!

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the family my friend.

From what it sounds like, the alert options set to current bar is "ON". In your indicator's options, can you see this (highlighted in yellow)?

PS: If you can, please post and upload the indicator to your response so we can understand it a bit better :)
Attachments
Are you looking for a Forex broker? FBS cuts spreads by up to 58%. Click here to begin your trading journey, today.
No commissions are earned by Forex-station.

Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

LikeRe: Newbie with alert bells ringing

Jimmy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:03 pm

Welcome to the family my friend.

From what it sounds like, the alert options set to current bar is "ON". In your indicator's options, can you see this (highlighted in yellow)?

PS: If you can, please post and upload the indicator to your response so we can understand it a bit better :)
Hi Jimmy, thanks for the reply and welcome message. I was able to trouble shoot it myself. I realized that the alert will continue to go off until the candle closes. I tried testing same indicators using 1 minute time frame and the alerts stopped after the candles closed. All good (I think). Thanks again.

pffaustt wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:07 am Hi Jimmy, thanks for the reply and welcome message. I was able to trouble shoot it myself. I realized that the alert will continue to go off until the candle closes. I tried testing same indicators using 1 minute time frame and the alerts stopped after the candles closed. All good (I think). Thanks again.
Yep, it'll do that. If Alert is set to current candle/bar it'll go off any time that those conditions are met. So if you're trading higher timeframes such as the Daily chart, it's best to set this option to "OFF" :thumbup:
Are you looking for a Forex broker? FBS cuts spreads by up to 58%. Click here to begin your trading journey, today.
No commissions are earned by Forex-station.

Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance