Re: Heiken Ashi Type Indicators

josi wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:23 pm
Thanks for your answer & suggestions. The only reason I changed it is the earlier signal (and it's hard to see real drawdowns).
If you look at GE30 H1 (or UK100) this morning when could you have entered the upward move that finished the W-formation.
Nevertheless, I will look into it over the weekend. Hope to hear more from you.
So i started paper trading the HADelta indicator using default settings, I simply took every single signal line cross on the Daily charts and let it run until an opposite signal appeared (I guess I like simple), thus, being in the market 100% of the time.
Did this for EURUSD for 2019 and 2020+2021.
The following are just rough numbers but they could easily be checked within your own MT4 charts with the indicator.

For 2019 (not considering spread):
-52 trades, out of which 29 were positive and 23 were losing trade.
-The 29 winning trades resulted in 1.864 pips (average winning trade of 64 pips).
-The 23 losing trades resultas in a loss of 966 pips (average losing trade of 42 pips).
-Net positive of 898 pips.

For 2020+2021 (also no spread consideration):
-54 trades, out of which 30 were positive and 24 were losing trade.
-The 30 winning trades resulted in 3.430 pips (average winning trade of 114 pips).
-The 24 losing trades resultas in a loss of 1.250 pips (average losing trade of 52 pips).
-Net positive of 2.180 pips.

It'd be nice to have an EA to more easily test longer periods of time.
These users thanked the author DrNefario for the post:
josi
Blai5 Vigia Indicator + Introduction: here

DrNefario wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:37 am So i started paper trading the HADelta indicator using default settings, I simply took every single signal line cross on the Daily charts and let it run until an opposite signal appeared (I guess I like simple), thus, being in the market 100% of the time.
default:
6, linear weighted, 3?

signal line cross:
1. Does that mean
a) signal line crossing indicator line
b) signal line crossing zero
c) indicator line crossing zero?

I tried 16, exponential, 5, exponential - that way you'd be able to trade swings instead of moves.
enter when signal line crosses indicator line, stay in/re-enter as long as indicator is above (or below zero)
exit when indicator line crosses zero (at the end of the move)
proviso: after strong short moves the indicator has steeply moved away from zero (meaning half of your gains will be gone by the time it crosses zero - in that case exit after signal line crosses indicator line; but maybe that sounds already too complex for your approach - EA-wise etc.)

josi wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:28 am
default:
6, linear weighted, 3?

signal line cross:
1. Does that mean
a) signal line crossing indicator line
b) signal line crossing zero
c) indicator line crossing zero?

I tried 16, exponential, 5, exponential - that way you'd be able to trade swings instead of moves.
enter when signal line crosses indicator line, stay in/re-enter as long as indicator is above (or below zero)
exit when indicator line crosses zero (at the end of the move)
proviso: after strong short moves the indicator has steeply moved away from zero (meaning half of your gains will be gone by the time it crosses zero - in that case exit after signal line crosses indicator line; but maybe that sounds already too complex for your approach - EA-wise etc.)
Hi Josi, yes I did 6 linear weighted and 3-period for the moving average.

When I said Signal line cross I meant the indicator crossing the 3-period moving average (i took every single one of them), closing and reentering in the opposite direction of the previous trade as a new Cross happened.
If you use the last version of the indicator, MrTools added a Signal whenever these crosses happen (although it isn't active by default).
These users thanked the author DrNefario for the post (total 3):
josi, Jimmy, ChuChu Rocket

DrNefario wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:45 pm Hi Josi, yes I did 6 linear weighted and 3-period for the moving average.
Possibly you could reduce false signals if you used a filter.
Update: check how price moved up shortly afterwards.
But I must say: it is a very good indicator.
See examples:
(I also gave the example of the 16-EMA-5-EMA)
2nd update: and it happened again, after US open - see 3rd screenshot
Attachments
These users thanked the author josi for the post:
DrNefario

josi wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:51 pm
Possibly you could reduce false signals if you used a filter.
Update: check how price moved up shortly afterwards.
But I must say: it is a very good indicator.
See examples:
(I also gave the example of the 16-EMA-5-EMA)
2nd update: and it happened again, after US open - see 3rd screenshot
That's a nice indi VQ, what does it measure? Would you mind sharing it here?

DrNefario wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:59 am That's a nice indi VQ, what does it measure? Would you mind sharing it here?
It was suggested for upgrade by RomanUkraine and MrTools did two versions:
viewtopic.php?p=1295421446#p1295421446
viewtopic.php?p=1295421877#p1295421877
Hope you keep me updated about your approach with HAdelta
There is a whole thread on volatility quality indicators here:
viewtopic.php?f=579496&t=8437913
(Mladen himself has done a few)
As to its functioning just google it.

PS: False signals really abound - using 6-3 (but also others)
another interesting filter could be a "simple" EMA 9 which I borrowed from Xard's approach.
HAdelta says down (+ divergence d) but price goes up after touching EMA 9.
As I already said: the problem isn't the indicator itself but the signal-line.
So - from my point of view - you'd be better served if you asked MrTools to add a slope change function to your outer indicator line (for example blue when up, red when down - the signal would improve considerably and at the same time you could work with above vs below zero for uptrend vs downtrend)
Attachments

josi wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:19 pm
It was suggested for upgrade by RomanUkraine and MrTools did two versions:
viewtopic.php?p=1295421877#p1295421877
Hope you keep me updated about your approach with HAdelta
There is a whole thread on volatility quality indicators here:
viewtopic.php?f=579496&t=8437913
(Mladen himself has done a few)
As to its functioning just google it.

PS: False signals really abound - using 6-3 (but also others)
another interesting filter could be a "simple" EMA 9 which I borrowed from Xard's approach.
HAdelta says down (+ divergence d) but price goes up after touching EMA 9.
As I already said: the problem isn't the indicator itself but the signal-line.
So - from my point of view - you'd be better served if you asked MrTools to add a slope change function to your outer indicator line (for example blue when up, red when down - the signal would improve considerably and at the same time you could work with above vs below zero for uptrend vs downtrend)
Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah, false signals happen but I believe a 55% winrate give or take, as long as it remains constant through longer periods and multiple forex pairs, with a 1:1,5 risk:reward seems pretty decent to me.
The problem, when filtering, is ending up filtering more good trades than bad ones.

But I do like the the option of colour change on slope, it does give some signals 1 candle earlier on default settings. It would be nice to check if that candle does make a difference. Maybe a filter here would work nicely when using higher periods rather than the 6,3 defaults.

MrTools would you be able to incorporate such option (colour change on slope up & down + the option to add arrows to the chart when the slope change takes place)?

Best regards
These users thanked the author DrNefario for the post:
josi

DrNefario wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:45 am
Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah, false signals happen but I believe a 55% winrate give or take, as long as it remains constant through longer periods and multiple forex pairs, with a 1:1,5 risk:reward seems pretty decent to me.
The problem, when filtering, is ending up filtering more good trades than bad ones.

But I do like the the option of colour change on slope, it does give some signals 1 candle earlier on default settings. It would be nice to check if that candle does make a difference. Maybe a filter here would work nicely when using higher periods rather than the 6,3 defaults.

MrTools would you be able to incorporate such option (colour change on slope up & down + the option to add arrows to the chart when the slope change takes place)?

Best regards
Added slope color change, with the arrows and alerts.
These users thanked the author mrtools for the post (total 3):
josi, DrNefario, alexm

DrNefario wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:45 am Yeah, false signals happen but I believe a 55% winrate give or take, as long as it remains constant through longer periods and multiple forex pairs, with a 1:1,5 risk:reward seems pretty decent to me.
Thanks to DrNefario & MrTools for this new version.
DrNefario:
Maybe you're right about the filter (only forward- & backtesting can tell).
From what I have seen I'd say this indicator is a winner if you experiment long enough with it.
Keep me updated & all the best.

with above/below zero (as orientation) there's the possibility you could run the whole move (even now the MA - Mladen's Hull-based EMA - is still blue and HAdelta above zero) but seeing that momentum is fading and what price is doing & resistance it may be a good time to call it a day.
Attachments
These users thanked the author josi for the post:
DrNefario