Please take a few minutes to read our rules before posting: Forex-Station's Rules. Are you following them?

How to Determine if a pair is more Ranging or more Trending ?

I've tried all the methods listed on various sites

- mean ROC (Rate of Change)
- mean Volatility
- mean Consecutive closing above/below moving average
- mean HH/LL

but I don't get a clear number diffference
for example we all know that GBP JPY is the most trending pair, but the numbers I got don't reflect that

thanks for your help

Jeff
These users thanked the author ionone for the post:
Chickenspicy

Re: How to Determine if a pair is more Ranging or more Trending ?

ionone wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:35 pm I've tried all the methods listed on various sites

- mean ROC (Rate of Change)
- mean Volatility
- mean Consecutive closing above/below moving average
- mean HH/LL

but I don't get a clear number diffference
for example we all know that GBP JPY is the most trending pair, but the numbers I got don't reflect that

thanks for your help

Jeff
I use the ADXvma as a sideways filter, even though it is certainly not perfect, it is the only thing that works for me to avoid entering further trades in ranging markets. Disadvantage is that you have to make a compromise between fast in the trade when the sideways phase ends and to filter as well as possible, when you should leave the fingers out of the market. I use the Averages here with these settings. However, is also only the 1m
These users thanked the author pail1217 for the post (total 2):
ionone, DaffyTaffy

Everything else Garch, Damiani etc pp didn't work for me either. What is still quite ok are the Momentum candles. However, it is more suitable for short-term scalping trades, not necessarily for trend trading. However, it makes sense (for me anyway, in the short time units) to use the next higher timeframe here as well
These users thanked the author pail1217 for the post:
1337br

pail1217 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:34 pm I use the ADXvma as a sideways filter, even though it is certainly not perfect, it is the only thing that works for me to avoid entering further trades in ranging markets. Disadvantage is that you have to make a compromise between fast in the trade when the sideways phase ends and to filter as well as possible, when you should leave the fingers out of the market. I use the Averages here with these settings. However, is also only the 1m
thank you so much you legend !
These users thanked the author ionone for the post:
pail1217

ionone wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:35 pm but I don't get a clear number diffference
You don't get a clear number because a range is not a price point (or a number of price points, or of a similar volatility etc).
What the eye (and brain) can immediately recognize: a repetition of a similar up-down-structure from left to right (with structurally similar highs and lows) is almost impossible to grasp mathematically (as yet).
These users thanked the author josi for the post:
pail1217

pail1217 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:39 pm Everything else Garch, Damiani etc pp didn't work for me either. What is still quite ok are the Momentum candles. However, it is more suitable for short-term scalping trades, not necessarily for trend trading. However, it makes sense (for me anyway, in the short time units) to use the next higher timeframe here as well
thanks for sharing, this looks like a good indicator for scalping m1, how do you use it?

I'm thinking of leaving it in m15 for inputs in m1

thanks

pail1217 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:41 am yes, that's exactly what I use it for. I have it set to 15m to determine the trading direction for my trades in 1m.
thanks for the info buddy
do you combine it with any other indicator? I thought of using macd histogram and only enter signals when it is already facing the same direction as the signal...

thanks mate
These users thanked the author 1337br for the post:
pail1217