Binance to seek FCA approval

One of the largest crypto exchanges in the world, Binance, got banned by the FCA a few months ago, but clearly they have not given up on the idea of operating in the UK at all, because recently the company’s CEO, Changpeng Zhao announced during an interview that they intend to seek a license from the above-mentioned regulator. According to his words, they aim to become a registered crypto asset firm in the UK in six to eighteen months.

“We’re making a number of very substantial changes in organizational structures, product offerings, our internal processes and the way we work with regulators,” Zhao also said and then continued “we want to continue to establish a presence in the U.K. and serve U.K. users in a fully licensed and fully compliant manner.”

I am assuming they’d succeed in receiving that license eventually, but would people trust them, after their multiple regulatory fiascos this year?

Re: Binance to seek FCA approval

mlawson71 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:11 am One of the largest crypto exchanges in the world, Binance, got banned by the FCA a few months ago, but clearly they have not given up on the idea of operating in the UK at all, because recently the company’s CEO, Changpeng Zhao announced during an interview that they intend to seek a license from the above-mentioned regulator. According to his words, they aim to become a registered crypto asset firm in the UK in six to eighteen months.

“We’re making a number of very substantial changes in organizational structures, product offerings, our internal processes and the way we work with regulators,” Zhao also said and then continued “we want to continue to establish a presence in the U.K. and serve U.K. users in a fully licensed and fully compliant manner.”

I am assuming they’d succeed in receiving that license eventually, but would people trust them, after their multiple regulatory fiascos this year?
I would trust them. Can't be easy to get regulated in each individual country they operate in! All having different laws and requirements.

So the FCA announced that some companies will be allowed to continue their operations on the British market even after the end of TRR (Temporary Registration Regime),

The regulator noted that “We have concluded our assessments, and the TRR will close on the 1st of April, for all but for a small number of firms where it is strictly necessary to continue to have temporary registration. This is necessary where a firm may be pursuing an appeal or may have particular winding-down circumstances.”

I am not sure yet whether it will apply to Binance though.

mlawson71 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:51 am So the FCA announced that some companies will be allowed to continue their operations on the British market even after the end of TRR (Temporary Registration Regime),

The regulator noted that “We have concluded our assessments, and the TRR will close on the 1st of April, for all but for a small number of firms where it is strictly necessary to continue to have temporary registration. This is necessary where a firm may be pursuing an appeal or may have particular winding-down circumstances.”

I am not sure yet whether it will apply to Binance though.
It will be interesting to see if the recent Luna crash changes things as Binance listed both Terra Luna and UST in the UK and I can only imagine its demise (particularly of UST) has regulators licking their lips.