Re: Do you prefer more trades, or more profit per trade ?

ionone wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:13 am would you prefer having a system with more trades, or a system with less trades but more profit per trade and more DD ?
Every trade produces costs (with your broker); therefore it is obviously better to have fewer trades, if you want to minimize costs.
Diversification can be important in investing (longer term involvement) but doesn't make as much sense in day-trading.
These users thanked the author josi for the post:
sal

For Binary option brokers
some are web platform where as some are their own software,
need bridgeing permission from brokers for direct to swith to open/sell button from MT4 platform to broker account
i saw one software mt2 trading platfrom for iq option only
to avoid auto boat trading brokers now adopt current expiry time starts from 1min. if less than 30, this time will extend to 1:30 min for expiry . this is boat sometime boat cannot works and may get lose trade.
this is paid and not prefer
"There is NO GOD higher than TRUTH" - Mahatma Gandhi

josi wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:26 am Every trade produces costs (with your broker); therefore it is obviously better to have fewer trades, if you want to minimize costs.
Diversification can be important in investing (longer term involvement) but doesn't make as much sense in day-trading.
if you just look at the spread then yes it is obviously better to have fewer trades
but if you look at diversification, it's better to have more trades, I think.
how does diversification work ?
well if you trade only one instrument and you have a big losing trade, then the drawdown will be affected directly.
but if you diversify, meaning you trade the same strategy on multiple pairs, one loss will only be 1/N in strength (N being the number of pairs simultaneously traded)
so diversification is used to lower the drawdown, and to smoother equity curve, because there is less chance that you will end up in a loss on ALL pairs traded at the same time.
An you can only do that when you have enough trades
well, this is the theory

Jeff

ionone wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:41 pm if you just look at the spread then yes it is obviously better to have fewer trades
but if you look at diversification, it's better to have more trades, I think.
how does diversification work ?
I may be totally wrong, of course, and speak only from experience:
Diversification, first of all, is investing in different instruments: you mix currencies; metals; oils; shares; indices, bonds etc (that normally have a very different risk profile)

If you only trade currencies diversification (if this is the correct term at all) is highly problematic:
some are strong, others are weak (for the time being, so despite producing the same entry signal the outcome will vary widely);
the pairings of one currency will behave similar under certain conditions etc

I think your original question is much too general to produce any categorical answers that can be helpful.
There are dozens of "ifs" that would have to be answered before the question can produce sensible answers.

ionone wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:41 pm but if you diversify, meaning you trade the same strategy on multiple pairs, one loss will only be 1/N in strength (N being the number of pairs simultaneously traded)
so diversification is used to lower the drawdown, and to smoother equity curve, because there is less chance that you will end up in a loss on ALL pairs traded at the same time.
well, this is the theory

Jeff
When I was testing a strategy for a binary robot, I noticed that out of 25 pairs, the signal is duplicated on three. Now when I'm doing calculations for options, I'm counting not on 25-30 pairs, but 7-8.
These users thanked the author andrei-1 for the post:
sal

ionone wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:13 am About automated trading, and as a thought experiment, would you prefer having a system with more trades, or a system with less trades but more profit per trade and more DD ?

I think that it would be better to have more trades, for diversification, but both system have their strengths and weaknesses

what do you think ?

Jeff
Probably it doesnt matters much whichever system you choose as long as its profitable. But I guess i will go for a lower DD just because it will increase your overall confidence as a trader and also as a person.
Know Thy Setup. Know Thyself.