QuestionIs investing in crypto mining rig is good?

hi there
i am planning to get one mining rig consist of 6 3080 gpus . i wanted to know is it good to invest in mining rig will it have any future?
please note that i am newbie to this also i watched some youtube video that is saying that mining rig will be useless after eth 2.0 release. i am not sure about what that means
i want some expert to tell me should i buy or leave it as rig will be useless after eth2.0

thanks

Re: Is investing in crypto mining rig is good?

ujtrader wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:17 am hi there
i am planning to get one mining rig consist of 6 3080 gpus . i wanted to know is it good to invest in mining rig will it have any future?
please note that i am newbie to this also i watched some youtube video that is saying that mining rig will be useless after eth 2.0 release. i am not sure about what that means
i want some expert to tell me should i buy or leave it as rig will be useless after eth2.0

thanks
Currently ETH runs on a Proof of Work concensus (PoW) which requires miners to participate to process transactions. The move over to ETH 2.0 will see the concensus move over to Proof of Stake. This means that those who own and stake ETH 2.0 will be the ones who validate transactions and not the miners. So essentially in buying a rig to mine ETH you have to weigh up if you think based on the cost of the rig, electricity cost and hashrate you will get from the rig if you will make enough money mining while you still can to at least cover the cost of the rig. The issue at this moment in time is that there is no fixed date that the concensus will change. It could be early next year or well into 2023 or later.
These users thanked the author sebking1986 for the post:
ujtrader

Re: Is investing in crypto mining rig is good?

sebking1986 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:39 am Currently ETH runs on a Proof of Work concensus (PoW) which requires miners to participate to process transactions. The move over to ETH 2.0 will see the concensus move over to Proof of Stake. This means that those who own and stake ETH 2.0 will be the ones who validate transactions and not the miners. So essentially in buying a rig to mine ETH you have to weigh up if you think based on the cost of the rig, electricity cost and hashrate you will get from the rig if you will make enough money mining while you still can to at least cover the cost of the rig. The issue at this moment in time is that there is no fixed date that the concensus will change. It could be early next year or well into 2023 or later.
Thankyou!! for clearly explaining it, so suppose if the concensus change next month then i can still use the rig to mine other coins like ravencoin etc rigth? only eth mining will be affected with the change right?