ExclamationBlock MT4 Updates to protect indicators from future MT4 Updates

Hello, i have a question about metatrader 4 and its updates.

So i have read (for years) that they want metatrader 4 users to go to mt5 and due to some mt4 updates some indicator/EA stop working on the updated version of mt4.

I would like to maintain my indicators if that happens, so with the ones that i have the source code there is no problem, but is there any way to preserve the .ex4 indicators in case that happens? Like downgrading mt4? Or not allowing the updates or something like that? I have no idea so i would appreciate any help.

Thanks for your collaboration!

LikeRe: Block MT4 Updates to protect indicators from future MT4 Updates

ffsss wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:49 am So i have read (for years) that they want metatrader 4 users to go to mt5 and due to some mt4 updates some indicator/EA stop working on the updated version of mt4.
Good question.

If MT4 were to just "suddenly stop" one day altogether, Mladen has been porting a lot of indicators over to MQ5 over the past few years and if there's a certain MT4 code you need, guys like Mrtools, Xard, Banzai, Kvak and Pacois would usually have the sources. In worst case, an indicator could be made again from scratch in MQ5 if that code was not available, lost etc.

Don't despair, MT4 will still be around for a while ;)
These users thanked the author ChuChu Rocket for the post (total 3):
Banzai, excellence, FAIZANXG
Important: The worst forex brokers of all time 👎

Re: Block MT4 Updates to protect indicators from future MT4 Updates

ChuChu Rocket wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:07 am Good question.

If MT4 were to just "suddenly stop" one day altogether, Mladen has been porting a lot of indicators over to MQ5 over the past few years and if there's a certain MT4 code you need, guys like Mrtools, Xard, Banzai, Kvak and Pacois would usually have the sources. In worst case, an indicator could be made again from scratch in MQ5 if that code was not available, lost etc.

Don't despair, MT4 will still be around for a while ;)
but MT5 is so much superior on all aspects

ionone wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:00 pm MT4 is more lightweight and quick to use so I still like it, MT5 is more of a big whale, kinda slow and complicated but more powerful
now that u mention about it.............. that is true mt5 is a bit heavier what about mt3?? u can download it from here viewtopic.php?t=8474252 :problem: :problem: :problem:
Official Forex-station GIF animator at your service 👨‍⚖️
See a GIF with Forex-station.com on it? I probably made it
The best divergence indicator in the world.
Real news exists: Infowars.com 👈

InfoRe: Block MT4 Updates to protect indicators from future MT4 Updates

ffsss wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:29 am Like stop mt4 from updating or something?
The only way to to stop MT4 (and also MT5) from updating

In Windows, completely remove all access privileges to the directories where the updates are being stored.

Don't change the actual Ownership of the directories.

The primary directory is:
"%APPDATA%\MetaQuotes\WebInstall"

To block updates, revoke permissions to the download directory:
"%APPDATA%\MetaQuotes\Tester\LiveUpdate"

You'll need to know how to set Permissions and Security Settings for directories on your Windows but that's the guaranteed way of doing it.
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post (total 4):
moey_dw, ffsss, TSD ICEMAN, excellence
Are you looking for a Forex broker? FBS cuts spreads by up to 58%. Click here to begin your trading journey, today.
No commissions are earned by Forex-station.

Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

Jimmy wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:46 am The only way to to stop MT4 (and also MT5) from updating

In Windows, completely remove all access privileges to the directories where the updates are being stored.

Don't change the actual Ownership of the directories.

The primary directory is:
"%APPDATA%\MetaQuotes\WebInstall"

To block updates, revoke permissions to the download directory:
"%APPDATA%\MetaQuotes\Tester\LiveUpdate"

You'll need to know how to set Permissions and Security Settings for directories on your Windows but that's the guaranteed way of doing it.

And would still continue working (can open buy sell operations?) or would it be like "offline" mode if i do that? Does this create any problem?
Thanks for your answer!