Please take a few minutes to read our rules before posting: Forex-Station's Rules. Are you following them?

Indicator questions

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions and would appreciate if any of you have the answers to it can provide some illumination.

1) Why does some ex4 indicators when put into the folder it will create .mq4 files and some don't?
2) Is the created .mq4 equivalent to the original indicator mql4? If not, what is the difference?
3) I understand it is the policy of forex-station not to give out/sell the source code, let's say I have manage to cob together a profitable system using the indicators and in the future, there is an update to MT4 and it is not compatible with the older version of the indicators, any suggestion what can I do?

Thank you!

Re: Indicator questions

Loye wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:50 pm Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions and would appreciate if any of you have the answers to it can provide some illumination.

1) Why does some ex4 indicators when put into the folder it will create .mq4 files and some don't?
2) Is the created .mq4 equivalent to the original indicator mql4? If not, what is the difference?
3) I understand it is the policy of forex-station not to give out/sell the source code, let's say I have manage to cob together a profitable system using the indicators and in the future, there is an update to MT4 and it is not compatible with the older version of the indicators, any suggestion what can I do?

Thank you!
Hi, not an expert but don't know of any ex4s that create a mq4, can you give an example?, I may be wrong.

It's up to the coder to decide to give out the mq4 file or not, the rule is just that if they didn't supply it - don't ask.

You can ask for mq4 files to be updated to new mt4 builds, may not always be possible though.
These users thanked the author Ogee for the post:
Loye

Loye wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:50 pm Hi Everyone,

Thank you!
1) putting a mq4 file in your folder creates an ex4 file, not the other way around.
2) Should be the same
3) More than likely according to metaquotes there will not be any more updates to mt4, but if so we will update the files as needed.
These users thanked the author mrtools for the post:
Loye

Loye wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:06 pm I have attached a screenshot from the folder and it contains both ex4 and mq4 files. I am fairly certain most of the indicators I have downloaded from forex-station are .ex4 files. Hence I am confused.
the first 2 on your list are on FS as mq4s, try going through the list yourself and check.
These users thanked the author Ogee for the post:
Loye

IndicatorRe: Indicator questions

Loye wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:50 pm I have a few questions and would appreciate if any of you have the answers to it can provide some illumination.
Welcome to our family, Loye :wave:

The easiest thing to do is to think of it this way: In terms of functionality and usability, EX4 files are the same thing as MQ4 files. EX4 files are just locked and protected, so when you install them as indicators an EX4 will not create an accompanying (editable) MQ4 file.

Coders on Forex-station "lock" their files to prevent theft. Back in the day, traders released the unlocked MQ4 (source code) all the time, but after a lot of MQ4 Source Codes ended up being stolen, sold on eBay and re-named without any credit to the original author/s, coders were forced to release their files as locked EX4's.

Nowadays, there's just way too many dishonorable people out there, and EX4 is the future of free codes.

Check out a couple of other related topics I think you should read, if you can:

Nice to meet you Loye and hope to see you around :)
These users thanked the author ChuChu Rocket for the post:
Loye
Important: The worst forex brokers of all time 👎

Hello all,

I am struggling to use an indicator that requires a DLL file. I have downloaded the DLL file into libraries. I have also downloaded the actual indicator (selecting allow DLL imports) but when I open the indicator it’s just blank.

Not sure I’m doing something incorrectly?

It relates to the following indicator:

QUOTE/
Re: Volume Indicators for MT4 #49
by Jimmy
Hawkeye Volume by Nigel Hawks is a renowned and premium VSA tool used and recommended by many traders.

PS: Please be sure to download the DLL attached and place it into your "Libraries" folder.

EURUSDH1.png
Hawkeye Volume.ex4
(6.18 KiB) Downloaded 2920 times
Hawkeye2012MT_edu.dll
(116 KiB) Downloaded 2452 times
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post (total 4):
heispark • Fractlr • Hagbeth • RodrigoRT7
UNQUOTE//