QuestionWhat does Shift do in MT4?

mrtools wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:57 am It's a regular moving average and the dotted line or second ma is a shift of that average according to your shift setting. Probably not the best explanation, but the best I can think of now.
mrtoolz can i ask u something.......... what does the "SHIFT" option do in indicators? :think: :think: :think:
Official Forex-station GIF animator at your service 👨‍⚖️
See a GIF with Forex-station.com on it? I probably made it
The best divergence indicator in the world.
Real news exists: Infowars.com 👈

Re: What does Shift do in MT4?

Deez wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:26 pm Picture a line(ma) on a chart - now imagine you moving(shifting) that line 1(or how ever many bars) forward or back.

Might be wrong Mrtools will know better,
ohhhhh i think i get it deez so shift will move the line further to the right of the chart??? ➡️➡️➡️

what u guys do that for??

MagnifyRe: What does Shift do in MT4?

ionone wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:23 pm this is to base a strategy on a fixed value rather than the changing actual value
kk.............. that flew right over my head :think: :think: :think:

what does it mean "Base a strategy on a fixed value rather than the changing actual value"

does it mean use shift to ignore price movements?? sorry i am really lost about dis!!!!

Shift can be used to adjust an indicator forward or back in time to "better" forecast trends or better fit the candlestick movements of a chart. In MT4, you can use indicators that are equipped with a Shift option to adjust them so that the indicator better aligns with the chart's candlestick Highs or Lows etc.

Shift makes an indicator's lag worse, though. A negative Shift can reduce lag, but it's questionable as I've personally noticed it only looks good historically.

Shift basically moves the value of the Moving Average in time.

For example:

• The current (forming candle) has a SHIFT value of 0.
  • The previous candlestick before that has a SHIFT value of 1.
  • The candlestick formed before that one has a shift value of 2, and so on.

PS: Shift is also called DMA or Displaced Moving Average.

PPS: Below is an example of a 10-period Moving Average with and without Shift applied.
Attachments
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post (total 3):
Skyold, 太虚一毫, moey_dw
Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

Jimmy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:07 pm
Today I also learned something about it. Thanks for the question from moey and thanks for the replies from Deez, Ionone and Jimmy :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Skyold for the post:
moey_dw
We create order out of chaos - we trade that order, but sometimes that chaos is out of order, so we WAIT!!! for the order to return - and we trade again. XARD777

moey_dw wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:40 pm kk.............. that flew right over my head :think: :think: :think:

what does it mean "Base a strategy on a fixed value rather than the changing actual value"

does it mean use shift to ignore price movements?? sorry i am really lost about dis!!!!
it's when you want to open an order for example when the price is far from the line of an indicator.
if you use the actual value of the bar [0], it is constantly changing, so you can use the shifted value (for example [1]) instead as the previous shifted value is fixed and won't change anymore.
These users thanked the author ionone for the post:
moey_dw

LikeRe: What does Shift do in MT4?

ionone wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:17 pm it's when you want to open an order for example when the price is far from the line of an indicator.
if you use the actual value of the bar [0], it is constantly changing, so you can use the shifted value (for example [1]) instead as the previous shifted value is fixed and won't change anymore.
man.......... thanks alot jeff deez & jimmyboy i am now a shift educated trader & learning new things today

U guys rock 🤗🤗🤗
These users thanked the author moey_dw for the post:
Deez