DislikeFacebook to punish friends who peddle fake news

Facebook to punish friends who peddle fake news

San Francisco: You may soon stop seeing Facebook posts from friends who peddle false or misleading information.

The company has announced it will begin doling out harsher punishments for individual accounts that repeatedly share misinformation, an expansion of its efforts to crack down on fake news.

Under the new system, Facebook will “reduce the distribution of all posts” from such people, making it harder for their content to be seen by others on the service. It already does this for Pages and Groups that post misinformation, but it hadn’t previously extended same policy to individual users. Facebook does limit the reach of posts that have been flagged by fact-checkers, but there wasn’t a broader penalty for account holders who share misinformation.

Facebook declined to specify how many times a user’s posts have to be flagged before the new punishment kicks in.

The California-based company will also start showing users a pop-up message if they click to “like” a page that routinely shares misinformation, alerting them that fact-checkers have previously flagged that page’s posts. “This will help people make an informed decision about whether they want to follow the Page,” the company wrote on a blog post.

The moves are the latest in Facebook’s effort to curb fake news — an ongoing challenge, especially concerning the polarising elections in several countries and COVID-19. Facebook created dedicated information hubs for topics like the pandemic and climate change as a way to present users with reliable information, but has struggled overall to keep up with rumours and misleading posts from its nearly 3 billion users.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald
These users thanked the author ChuChu Rocket for the post:
Ogee
Important: The worst forex brokers of all time 👎

Re: Facebook to punish friends who peddle fake news

ChuChu Rocket wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:39 am Facebook to punish friends who peddle fake news

The clowns at Facebook peddle enough fake news of their own and could be digging a hole for themselves here as they are determining appropriate context which transforms them from a platform into a publisher.

Already Facebook have taken it upon themselves to censor users who distribute information from GOVT WEBSITES - really.

Big tech oligarchs are the worst people possible to be determining what is truth or not.

This was censored by Facebook because ...

These users thanked the author Ogee for the post (total 2):
Jimmy, ChuChu Rocket

Ogee wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:36 am The clowns at Facebook peddle enough fake news of their own and could be digging a hole for themselves here as they are determining appropriate context which transforms them from a platform into a publisher.

Already Facebook have taken it upon themselves to censor users who distribute information from GOVT WEBSITES - really.

Big tech oligarchs are the worst people possible to be determining what is truth or not.

aa1.PNG

This was censored by Facebook because ...

aa2.PNG

Ogee Facebook/Twitter is not a publisher...there the new government

Deez wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:34 pm Ogee Facebook/Twitter is not a publisher...there the new government
I'd rather call them "the long arm of the government"..... used for manipulating people's mind. People are pathologically addicted to all those social platforms, thus it is of no surprise that the ones in charge use those as a tool. And it's been known for a long time, all of them including MS and Google have got to keep a backdoor open for the government to collect data from the users or to put it in a nutshell "spy on them".
Got no social website memberships what so ever. Not for the reasons I mentioned above, but for the the reason that I value time and have got none to waste. Social norms have changed significantly. Nowadays people don't talk to each other, they talk to their phones only, even when eating. Thus I find it rather amusing that people complain about FB, twitter,...you name it......but are not willing to correct their own behaviour.
These users thanked the author RplusT for the post (total 2):
Jimmy, Deez

RplusT wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:50 pm I'd rather call them "the long arm of the government"..... used for manipulating people's mind. People are pathologically addicted to all those social platforms, thus it is of no surprise that the ones in charge use those as a tool. And it's been known for a long time, all of them including MS and Google have got to keep a backdoor open for the government to collect data from the users or to put it in a nutshell "spy on them".
Got no social website memberships what so ever. Not for the reasons I mentioned above, but for the the reason that I value time and have got none to waste. Social norms have changed significantly. Nowadays people don't talk to each other, they talk to their phones only, even when eating. Thus I find it rather amusing that people complain about FB, twitter,...you name it......but are not willing to correct their own behaviour.
Sometimes I think society will pull itself out of the hole its in..but then I realize(nevermind the government - whether you are left or right) there's people on TikTok that's allowed to vote :Rofl: :sweat: :stressed: :cry:
These users thanked the author Deez for the post:
RplusT

Deez wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:13 pm Sometimes I think society will pull itself out of the hole its in..but then I realize(nevermind the government - whether you are left or right) there's people on TikTok that's allowed to vote :Rofl: :sweat: :stressed: :cry:
God I hate TikTok. Especially kids who dance on it with adults. Some strange shit right there.
These users thanked the author ChuChu Rocket for the post:
RplusT
Important: The worst forex brokers of all time 👎

Deez wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:13 pm Sometimes I think society will pull itself out of the hole its in..but then I realize(never mind the government - whether you are left or right) there's people on TikTok that's allowed to vote :Rofl: :sweat: :stressed: :cry:
Society pulling itself out is virtually impossible because society is split within itself in many ways, which makes manipulation a lot easier. Just look at the "left and right" thing as an example you mentioned. One is being played against the other and both sides are made to believe they are on the "right side". The educational level on this planet is deteriorating despite all those technological advances and easy access to knowledge. With the social networks dumbing down the majority of the people, we are pretty much doomed...or should I say we are tiktoked...... :cry:

Hi, one thing I don't like is the quarrels, on social media, forums, facebook, twitter, yotube etc .., the "keyboard lions", once you look at each other in the eyes, exposing your opinions, some punch could escape, or some hair pulling, you could have a bruise, but the continuous attacks on social media can create psychological wounds, which do more damage .. than a punch.
These users thanked the author pacois for the post:
RplusT