Ehlers RSI smoothing trick - Help please

I'm trying to understand how Ehlers smoothed the RSI in his S&C magazine article I think in 2002(?) already. He calls it the RSI smoothing trick, and included an "EasyLanguage" script.
I'm trying to code this into a simple mt4 indicator, but can't figure out what he uses to calculate the smoothing coefficient, and where he uses it.
Someone must have implemented this in mql but all I can find is the inverse fisher transform smoothing etc which is a bit complicated for me at this point.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Re: Ehlers RSI smoothing trick - Help please

DocYummy77 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:36 pm I'm trying to understand how Ehlers smoothed the RSI in his S&C magazine article I think in 2002(?) already. He calls it the RSI smoothing trick, and included an "EasyLanguage" script.
I'm trying to code this into a simple mt4 indicator, but can't figure out what he uses to calculate the smoothing coefficient, and where he uses it.
Someone must have implemented this in mql but all I can find is the inverse fisher transform smoothing etc which is a bit complicated for me at this point.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Have this one from Mladen, think it might be what you are looking for.

mrtools wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:42 am

Have this one from Mladen, think it might be what you are looking for.
Thank you very much MrTools!
I have the pdf, and Mladen's approach seems a bit different than what Ehlers described.
I see he uses weighted moving averages to calculate the coefficient, while it seems to me in Ehlers' description the coefficient is calculated by weighted closes.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole concept.

DocYummy77 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:19 am

Thank you very much MrTools!
I have the pdf, and Mladen's approach seems a bit different than what Ehlers described.
I see he uses weighted moving averages to calculate the coefficient, while it seems to me in Ehlers' description the coefficient is calculated by weighted closes.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole concept.
Replying to my own post but I figured it out at last. You have to smooth all prices (ie 0 to rates_total) and then calculate the RSI from the smoothed data. MLaden uses a 1 period iMA function which is the same as using the closes, but it is easier to pass the input parameters that way.
These users thanked the author DocYummy77 for the post:
Jimmy

DocYummy77 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:43 am

Replying to my own post but I figured it out at last. You have to smooth all prices (ie 0 to rates_total) and then calculate the RSI from the smoothed data. MLaden uses a 1 period iMA function which is the same as using the closes, but it is easier to pass the input parameters that way.
Thanks for the update Doc. Good investigative work there :)
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post:
DocYummy77
Are you looking for a Forex broker? FBS cuts spreads by up to 58%. Click here to begin your trading journey, today.
No commissions are earned by Forex-station.

Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance