Re: Step Indicators for MT4

mrtools wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:55 am
Thank you Mrtools. It is working; in fact I think it was working all along. My problem was not knowing how to change settings, which I have figured out. In order to change settings, just in case there are other people not familiar with this indicator, is by setting the fraction in the phase accumulation cycle field (in decimals). Leave the phase accumulation filter as 1. Play around with other inputs to achieve your desired set up.
These users thanked the author Jozo for the post:
Kiwi

mrtools wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:09 am This was a request to make a stepped version of the Trend direction and force index, it didn't change it much, tried the different versions of step ma that I know of.
hi mrtools
much and many thanks for your entire efforts
yes,you are right,at very higher values some 500 and above periods it make some difference,may be step degree/strength can possibly help improve it but you knows better
greetings

Hi MrTools,

Happy Holidays!

I did some other testing over the holidays and created a MTF test case, please find attached. I'm simply drawing an arrow when step pdfma is going up or down. I found a few cases where the arrow is pointing the opposite direction of the indicator value, like so:
The code (full source attached) is just:

Code: Select all

//10 buffer: 1 = up, -1 = down
      string stepperName = "step pdfma (mtf + alerts + arrows)"; 
      double stepperDirVal = iCustom(NULL,0,stepperName, PERIOD_H4, 10, i);

if(stepperDirVal == 1) {
         drawArrow(drawPrefix , 1, 200, 233, clrBlue, "", i,3);
      } else if(stepperDirVal == -1) {
         drawArrow(drawPrefix, -1, 200, 234, clrRed, "", i,3);
      }
I'm testing during the H1 timeframe.

Here are a couple of more examples:
The vast majority of the time its working great but I'm coding an EA so this keeps coming up.

If I'm using the wrong buffer, my apologies, it looks to me like 10 is the Up/Down buffer...

Please let me know if I can do anything else!

Thanks!

Mark

mrtools wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:51 am

Couldn't find any repainting.

mwaschkowski wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:33 am Hi MrTools,

Happy Holidays!

I did some other testing over the holidays and created a MTF test case, please find attached. I'm simply drawing an arrow when step pdfma is going up or down. I found a few cases where the arrow is pointing the opposite direction of the indicator value, like so:

pdfma1.png

The code (full source attached) is just:

Code: Select all

//10 buffer: 1 = up, -1 = down
      string stepperName = "step pdfma (mtf + alerts + arrows)"; 
      double stepperDirVal = iCustom(NULL,0,stepperName, PERIOD_H4, 10, i);

if(stepperDirVal == 1) {
         drawArrow(drawPrefix , 1, 200, 233, clrBlue, "", i,3);
      } else if(stepperDirVal == -1) {
         drawArrow(drawPrefix, -1, 200, 234, clrRed, "", i,3);
      }
I'm testing during the H1 timeframe.

Here are a couple of more examples:

pdfma2.png

pdfma3.png

The vast majority of the time its working great but I'm coding an EA so this keeps coming up.

If I'm using the wrong buffer, my apologies, it looks to me like 10 is the Up/Down buffer...

Please let me know if I can do anything else!

Thanks!

Mark

Yeah 10 is the trend buffer, only thing I can think of is if you are testing using a 4 hour step pdf on a 1 hour chart don't know for sure but don't think it's very accurate testing mtf on the strategy tester, that's just what I've heard never really tried it.

OK, interesting. I switched to the 4 hour chart to test with to see if that made a difference, but it didn't, same (similar) results:
Thanks,

Mark

Edit: PS - please let me know if there are other scenarios I should test or anything else I can do!
mrtools wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:27 am

Yeah 10 is the trend buffer, only thing I can think of is if you are testing using a 4 hour step pdf on a 1 hour chart don't know for sure but don't think it's very accurate testing mtf on the strategy tester, that's just what I've heard never really tried it.

As well, I just did another test with "step one more average 2.3 mtf" and it worked fine in both H4 and H1 timeframes, always matched.

mrtools wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:27 am