InfoFix: You are trying to use a renamed indicator - Firefox renaming files

You are trying to use a renamed indicator - Firefox renaming files

There seems to be a bug in some versions of Firefox which is causing the browser to automatically re-name file downloads from sites (not just ours).

Member marwilli has identified the issue.
If you are experiencing this error message after using Firefox to download indicators here, please read below.

Solution:
  • Re-name the indicator file exactly as it is on our site.
  • Update your Firefox browser.
  • Or avoid the issue altogether by using Chrome or Edge browsers until Firefox fix this!
marwilli wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:35 am I´ve checked it out.
Opera download ok, no problem with indi name, chrome the same, all ok
Firefox fault. I don´t know what ´s the problem with the firefox, but even I download this file , the renaming fault is present.

so dear users, if you have problems with downloads, try another browser first 😊
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post (total 7):
moey_dw, Nbats7979, edg3end, rosalieone, Jedidiah, Forexlearner, mrtools
Are you looking for a Forex broker? FBS cuts spreads by up to 58%. Click here to begin your trading journey, today.
No commissions are earned by Forex-station.

Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

Re: You are trying to use a renamed indicator - Firefox renaming files

ayo_deji wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:32 pm

Hi, pls i get this error while trying to use the indicator on my chart : " You are trying to to use rename indicator" Please, how do i correct this error. Regards
Hi,

Id say your computer has added an extra number or letter to the name when you've downloaded it..Make sure its exactly the same as the name i posted... Apart from that, no idea sorry.

I think Mladen and MrTools, Jimmy, etc should share the codes of all their indis. I know people pirate them, rename them and sell them, but that's the ransom of glory
if you publish a book, people are gonna scan it, and resell it. Does it means you don't have to share your knowledge ?
I try to open my codes as much as possible, I feel honored people learning from me. Because what if Mladen or MrTools stop updating their indis, or pass away (god forbid), and there is a MT4 update ...then what ? we're screwed.
I try not using indis without code as much as possible
These users thanked the author ionone for the post:
edg3end

ionone wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:04 pm I think Mladen and MrTools, Jimmy, etc should share the codes of all their indis. I know people pirate them, rename them and sell them, but that's the ransom of glory
if you publish a book, people are gonna scan it, and resell it. Does it means you don't have to share your knowledge ?
I try to open my codes as much as possible, I feel honored people learning from me. Because what if Mladen or MrTools stop updating their indis, or pass away (god forbid), and there is a MT4 update ...then what ? we're screwed.
I try not using indis without code as much as possible
ionone
you discuss whether it makes sense or is comfortable to publish ex4 or mq4. But that's not the point here.
due to an error in the firefox some downloads are incorrect. spaces are shortened for example.

I think to avoid this error a programmer can simply assign file names without spaces but that is the decision of the creator.

I am not a programmer, but I know that rename protection is also possible without additional spaces in the file name.
this would work around the download problem.

But as I said before, this is always a decision of the programmer
we can't change the wind, but we can set the sails differently

marwilli wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:35 pm
ionone
you discuss whether it makes sense or is comfortable to publish ex4 or mq4. But that's not the point here.
due to an error in the firefox some downloads are incorrect. spaces are shortened for example.

I think to avoid this error a programmer can simply assign file names without spaces but that is the decision of the creator.

I am not a programmer, but I know that rename protection is also possible without additional spaces in the file name.
this would work around the download problem.

But as I said before, this is always a decision of the programmer
yes but if code was shared then no more problems :) that was my point
or at least allow renaming of them. I use '!!!!' before the name to be able to see the indicator at the top of the list because I got too many indis :sweat: