Re: Market Movie Lounge

mlawson71 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:31 pm

I am also trying not to hang out on coronavirus-related social media because it's just driving up the panic.
I would definitely recommend you to avoid them. Social Media just made it worse. You just need to know that you have to stay inside and keep yourself busy, so that you won't ever feel like that way. Stay safe.

mlawson71 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:37 am I have never looked for such on Netflix, come to think about it. I don't know why it hasn't occurred to me.
There are a few i got to know like
"The China Hustle"
"Banking on bitcoin"
"Margin call"

I have added them to my list.. lets see what we traders an learn from them.

Top 12 Trader movies grabbed off Steve Burns's web site, lists a few I'd not heard of before;

1. The Big Short: This is my all-time favorite trading movie. It told the stories of three traders that bet against the housing market bubble and won big.

2. Wall Street: A tale of all that is wrong with Wall Street insider trading.

3. Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps: This is much better than the original, and tells the story of the comeback of Gordon Gekko.

4. Trading Places: The classic comedy where commodity traders try to turn a street hustler into a trader.

5. Margin Call: I really enjoyed this drama about traders inside an investment bank at the beginning of the 2008 financial meltdown. I wish this movie was longer.

6. Floored: This movie did a good job of showing how the trading life can turn your life upside down, or for some people, it can make you fabulously wealthy.

7. Boiler Room: This movie is about how a boiler room operation works by hawking non-existent stocks and bonds for non-existent companies to enrich the ‘brokers’ peddling these worthless stocks.

8. The Wolf of Wall Street: This is at times a raunchy story of greed based on the writings of Jordan Belfort, a stockbroker in penny stocks convicted of market manipulation. This movie may contain more drugs, sex, nudity, and cursing than you see in the other movies, but it’s ultimately a comedy and works as pure entertainment.

9. Rogue Trader: The story of Nick Leeson, an ambitious investment broker who single handedly bankrupted Barings one of the oldest and most important banks in Britain.

10. Too Big to Fail: This movie chronicles the financial meltdown of 2008 and centers on Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.

11. Barbarians at the Gates: This movie centered on the leveraged buyout of RJR Nabisco. Audiences will be shocked at the incompetence and greed of Nabisco’s CEO F. Ross Johnson and the behind-the-scenes negotiations around this famous LBO.

12. The Wizard of Lies: A movie about the fall of the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme that robbed $65 billion from its investors. The story of the largest fraud in the history of the U.S.
These users thanked the author Ogee for the post:
navid110

Ogee wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:14 pm Top 12 Trader movies grabbed off Steve Burns's web site, lists a few I'd not heard of before;

1. The Big Short: This is my all-time favorite trading movie. It told the stories of three traders that bet against the housing market bubble and won big.

2. Wall Street: A tale of all that is wrong with Wall Street insider trading.

3. Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps: This is much better than the original, and tells the story of the comeback of Gordon Gekko.

4. Trading Places: The classic comedy where commodity traders try to turn a street hustler into a trader.

5. Margin Call: I really enjoyed this drama about traders inside an investment bank at the beginning of the 2008 financial meltdown. I wish this movie was longer.

6. Floored: This movie did a good job of showing how the trading life can turn your life upside down, or for some people, it can make you fabulously wealthy.

7. Boiler Room: This movie is about how a boiler room operation works by hawking non-existent stocks and bonds for non-existent companies to enrich the ‘brokers’ peddling these worthless stocks.

8. The Wolf of Wall Street: This is at times a raunchy story of greed based on the writings of Jordan Belfort, a stockbroker in penny stocks convicted of market manipulation. This movie may contain more drugs, sex, nudity, and cursing than you see in the other movies, but it’s ultimately a comedy and works as pure entertainment.

9. Rogue Trader: The story of Nick Leeson, an ambitious investment broker who single handedly bankrupted Barings one of the oldest and most important banks in Britain.

10. Too Big to Fail: This movie chronicles the financial meltdown of 2008 and centers on Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.

11. Barbarians at the Gates: This movie centered on the leveraged buyout of RJR Nabisco. Audiences will be shocked at the incompetence and greed of Nabisco’s CEO F. Ross Johnson and the behind-the-scenes negotiations around this famous LBO.

12. The Wizard of Lies: A movie about the fall of the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme that robbed $65 billion from its investors. The story of the largest fraud in the history of the U.S.
Wow. Thanks for sharing, I think I have some good options for the weekend already :D

10 Financial Documentaries available on Netflix you might want to look up. List lifted from Steve Burns's web site;

"Here is a list of some of the top financial documentaries available on Netflix that as of the time of this writing that can be informative, educational, and entertaining."

1/ Dirty Money: This is a docu-series about corporations built on lies and scandals, along with tales of greed and corruption in finance.

2/ Saving Capitalism: Former labor secretary Robert Reich interviews Americans and examines the shifts in the economy.

3/ Prediction by the Numbers: This documentary looks at how predictions inform our lives and the reliability of statistics and algorithms.

4/ Broken: This docu-series shows how negligence and deceit in consumer items can lead to terrible outcomes.

5/ Hank: 5 Years from the Brink: This documentary explains how Hank Paulson executed the $1 trillion bailout of the banking system in 2008.

6/ Stink!: A single dad’s search for the strange odor in his children’s pajamas uncovers toxic secrets in the chemical industry.

7/ Drugs INC.: This docu-series follows the entire supply chain of the illegal drug trade, from production to distribution and consumption.

8/ Money Heist: The Phenomenon: Why the “Money Heist” sparked such a big wave of enthusiasm around the world for a group of thieves and their professor.

9/ Cuba and the Cameraman: A chronicle of the fortunes of three Cuban families over the course of forty years.

10/ The Trader: A window into the life of the rural republic of Georgia, where potatoes are currency and poverty crushes ambition.