Re: Anyone use Thinkorswim?

heispark wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:41 pm I am planning slowly migrating from MT4 to Thinkorswim in 2-3 years of time frame (also from Forex to Futures). Kindly share anything about Thinkorswim here too. :)
Thanks,
I've used TOS in the past but for Futures the best platforms are CQG and X_Trader.

X_trader is my most favourite out of the two because of it's simplicity, speed and it's really easy to navigate and get into.
CQG is pretty old school and we used this at work when I was working for a prop firm and that was really cool and had so many things to fiddle with like yield curves and spreads but it's only really good if you like doing that sort of stuff.

Is there any particular reason why you're looking at moving away from Forex to Futures?

PS: If you're interested in trading Futures you should open a demo over at AMP Futures :thumbup:

CQG
X_Trader
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post (total 2):
Krelian99, heispark
Are you looking for a Forex broker? FBS cuts spreads by up to 58%. Click here to begin your trading journey, today.
No commissions are earned by Forex-station.

Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

heispark wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:41 pm I am planning slowly migrating from MT4 to Thinkorswim in 2-3 years of time frame (also from Forex to Futures). Kindly share anything about Thinkorswim here too. :)
Thanks,
Me the same, but in one year and not TOS, but Ninja Trader or Linnsoft. This isn't fix, of course. There are many good and ok platforms. I didn't take a look on TOS, but read the name here and there.
These users thanked the author Krelian99 for the post (total 2):
heispark, Jimmy

Jimmy wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:15 pm

I've used TOS in the past but for Futures the best platforms are CQG and X_Trader.

X_trader is my most favourite out of the two because of it's simplicity, speed and it's really easy to navigate and get into.
CQG is pretty old school and we used this at work when I was working for a prop firm and that was really cool and had so many things to fiddle with like yield curves and spreads but it's only really good if you like doing that sort of stuff.

Is there any particular reason why you're looking at moving away from Forex to Futures?

PS: If you're interested in trading Futures you should open a demo over at AMP Futures :thumbup:

CQG
cqg.jpg

X_Trader
tt_x_trader.jpg
Wow, thank you for the good information. I already have opened a live account at AMP Futures with CQG M and TradingView as execution platforms. I found trading Futures is a bit more complicated than Forex, so I am still practicing. ;) Anyway, I am still using MT4 only for charting mainly because of several indicators I like(including some indicators made by Mladen and Mrtools). I plan to hire a programmer to port them to Thinkorswim, so that I don't need to depend on MT4 any longer. MT4 is abandoned platform anyway. I am kinda visual person and interface of TOS is just beautiful and intuitive! It also supports Mac natively. (Interactive Broker's TWS is also Mac native but its interface is a disaster!) I am just fascinated by it and don't want to look around others. When it's run on a Mac, it's just perfect platform I dreamed of. :lol:
I know there are lots of debate about Forex vs. Futures. I just personally prefer Exchange model. My understanding is Forex liquidity is highly exaggerated and, even if it exists, most average people may not have access to it...
By the way, if you know, by any chance, a good coder who can convert MT4 to Thinkorswim, kindly let me know. I found some candidates from web search but I don't know their performance.
Have a nice weekend, Jimmy! :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci

Krelian99 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:18 pm

Me the same, but in one year and not TOS, but Ninja Trader or Linnsoft. This isn't fix, of course. There are many good and ok platforms. I didn't take a look on TOS, but read the name here and there.
It looks like Ninja Trader is most popular and supports many brokers..... :thumbup:

LazarR wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:16 am Hey heispark,
Could you please share what made you take the decision to switch completely to this platform? I am curious as I am not very familiar with it.
At first, it looked intuitive than other platforms especially compared to Interactive Broker's TWS, which I originally considered to use. Also, its colorful interface is aesthetically attractive to me. However, later I found many weaknesses of this platform. Its communities almost died, Broker dependency is not very good, timeframe change is not especially convenient, etc, etc... Now I have changed my mind and have decided to use MT5 as an execution platform, and MT4 for charting. MQL5.com community is the biggest and unbeatable. I have no choice but to use Metatrader platforms. They are de facto standard now. :cray:

heispark wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:37 am At first, it looked intuitive than other platforms especially compared to Interactive Broker's TWS, which I originally considered to use. Also, its colorful interface is aesthetically attractive to me. However, later I found many weaknesses of this platform. Its communities almost died, Broker dependency is not very good, timeframe change is not especially convenient, etc, etc... Now I have changed my mind and have decided to use MT5 as an execution platform, and MT4 for charting. MQL5.com community is the biggest and unbeatable. I have no choice but to use Metatrader platforms. They are de facto standard now. :cray:
You are used to MT4/ 5 (4.1). Stuff that is native in MT4 isn't in TOS and res versa (I don't know TOS, yet). Biggest and unbeatable community in MQL.com? 80% are beginners and have absolutely no clue and many will never have. Big yes, but this doesn't help you much. Trading is Champions League. You want to play CL, right? One guys that is a real pro is much more worth than 100 guys playing Amateur League concerned to learning. There is no Amateur League in Trading, but you want to ask amateurs how to play in CL. That doesn't make sense for me.

MetaQuotes has still a monopol, still. MT5 was a deadborn child, in June 2010 already obsolete. It isn't ready for the future. Brokers like MT4, but MT5 is another story. There is no communication with either traders or brokers from MetaQuotes. What do you think will the brokers do in the future? I'm not so sure they all will support MT5. I wouldn't trade Futures with MT5. I'm not married with MT5 in FX dimension and for Futures dimension there are many so much more powerful platforms. Using MT5 is like always running back to kindergarten because school is a bit more complex and frightens at first glance.

TF-change isn't convenient :D that's cute. It's a typical beginners thing to switch all the time between the tfs. Two or three charts with fix tf is all you need per instrument. Mostly only one instrument, in FX maybe two or three instruments. Effectivity, not quantity. So it's more a sign that it is a platform for pros, that tf-change isn't that convenient - badly coded I don't think.

Krelian99 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:14 am

You are used to MT4/ 5 (4.1). Stuff that is native in MT4 isn't in TOS and res versa (I don't know TOS, yet). Biggest and unbeatable community in MQL.com? 80% are beginners and have absolutely no clue and many will never have. Big yes, but this doesn't help you much. Trading is Champions League. You want to play CL, right? One guys that is a real pro is much more worth than 100 guys playing Amateur League concerned to learning. There is no Amateur League in Trading, but you want to ask amateurs how to play in CL. That doesn't make sense for me.

MetaQuotes has still a monopol, still. MT5 was a deadborn child, in June 2010 already obsolete. It isn't ready for the future. Brokers like MT4, but MT5 is another story. There is no communication with either traders or brokers from MetaQuotes. What do you think will the brokers do in the future? I'm not so sure they all will support MT5. I wouldn't trade Futures with MT5. I'm not married with MT5 in FX dimension and for Futures dimension there are many so much more powerful platforms. Using MT5 is like always running back to kindergarten because school is a bit more complex and frightens at first glance.

TF-change isn't convenient :D that's cute. It's a typical beginners thing to switch all the time between the tfs. Two or three charts with fix tf is all you need per instrument. Mostly only one instrument, in FX maybe two or three instruments. Effectivity, not quantity. So it's more a sign that it is a platform for pros, that tf-change isn't that convenient - badly coded I don't think.
Although I respect your opinion and I also don't like Metatrader very much, I still think MT5 is a decent platform with very intuitive (or simple) interface. However I found that futures contracts seem not to be automatically rolled over... Perhaps I have to do this manually. That's a drawback I think. I started trading from MT4. I cannot dump everything I have collected in last 8 years and start from scratch. It's difficult to change old habit you know....

heispark wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:17 pm Although I respect your opinion and I also don't like Metatrader very much, I still think MT5 is a decent platform with very intuitive (or simple) interface. However I found that futures contracts seem not to be automatically rolled over... Perhaps I have to do this manually. That's a drawback I think. I started trading from MT4. I cannot dump everything I have collected in last 8 years and start from scratch. It's difficult to change old habit you know....
I know what you mean and don't understand me wrong: I would wish that there is a modern MT5 or new MT6. I'd see hardly a reason to change, but it is as it is. Times change and they must change and things must be allowed to die so something different can evolve out of the ashes. I guess, 95% of what you collected in the last 8 years is waste or encumbrance, at least my over 1.000 indis were. I like to take old indis and remount them for researching new approaches or ideas. With more experience you see also different things, but I had to make a cut and decided to trade more and more naked (traveling with little luggage). I have to say, referred to trading best decision since long time. Only one or two relatively simple and quick migratable indicators help from time to time. Habits are curse and blessing at the same time.