Re: Range Trading & Sideways Market filters for MT4

Try this as a template.
It shows sideways and it shows trends.
And it has on the explanation of how the indicator works.
TEAMTRADER
These users thanked the author TEAMTRADER for the post:
berserkyjc

All indicators will be to late to filter out trend or sideways market , the best is to look for previous candles and what they have done , like if the previous have two wicks bigger than the body or that the previous candle close isn't above or below candle open with a pip value , and if the price exceeds previous high / low it is doing something more , take that as a trend or not , it's up to you ☺

Sometimes the news or the the waiting of some important meetings are an indicator of a ranging, waiting market.

For example, seeing that today is the FOMC statement and tomorrow Mr Draghi Press conference, I did not trade since last week, apart from some shorttime scalps .
Otherwise I have two ways toi dentify a ranging market:
-I find the EMA200 can give you a sign (with some lag). When EMA200 is flat, I don't trade.
-The price near the MidPivot PP for H4 or D1, can be a sign.

Who uses Bollinger Bands for identifying the consolidation time? Or sqDynamicBreakout?

TimmyHanke wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:20 pm All indicators will be to late to filter out trend or sideways market , the best is to look for previous candles and what they have done , like if the previous have two wicks bigger than the body or that the previous candle close isn't above or below candle open with a pip value , and if the price exceeds previous high / low it is doing something more , take that as a trend or not , it's up to you ☺
Timmy is right, you will always have lags or false signals with indis. In sideways it's better to use PA or Volume/Ticks. Look for signs of weakness and strength. As Timmy says, the Hammer-like candles (wick is double as long as the body) are good indicators. Volume/Ticks/Footprints let you see whether the candles and so the market have upthrust or downthrust.

IMO, the right question is not how to filter sideways. The question is: Why you want to filter sideways? And why you waste time in searching for sideway-filters, when you can easily trade them? In sideways you trade from ceiling to floor to ceiling and/or the breakout/false breakouts. With real breakouts you are in the market when the pros are in as well and before all the mass begin to follow.

pazienza wrote: Sometimes the news or the the waiting of some important meetings are an indicator of a ranging, waiting market.

For example, seeing that today is the FOMC statement and tomorrow Mr Draghi Press conference, I did not trade since last week, apart from some shorttime scalps .
Otherwise I have two ways toi dentify a ranging market:
-I find the EMA200 can give you a sign (with some lag). When EMA200 is flat, I don't trade.
-The price near the MidPivot PP for H4 or D1, can be a sign.

Who uses Bollinger Bands for identifying the consolidation time? Or sqDynamicBreakout?
On NFP days (first Friday of the Month) the market is often tricky, so when you don't trade these days I could understand you. The EMA200 is absolutely unsuitable for that. Even EMA50 is not good enough for that. MAs are completely useless in ranges, except in running flats, but then use EMA6-14. And Bollinger Bands? If you want to pull the legs of some noobs, drop BBs on the chart and say how nice they look and that you can filter sideways with them. It's like the Yeti, never anyone has ever seen someone doing this live. It's a myth and no pro uses them, so the market doesn't care for them at all.