Please take a few minutes to read our rules before posting: Forex-Station's Rules. Are you following them?

QuestionCan all indicators be used on various timeframes?

With the vast amount of indicators available my question is - Can all indicators be used on various timeframes? Can an indicator that was designed for the 15 min chart be used on the 4 hour or daily?

I personally trade the daily timeframe and look for trades after a retracement.

I use indicators like moving averages, Fractal dots, WAE and trendlines.

For new members looking to design their own trading systems what should they look for?

Would you say they need to increase or decrease the period settings the higher the timeframe?

Do they simply need to find 3 indicators which work in harmony together?

I look forward to your answers guys :)

Re: Can all indicators be used on various timeframes?

Jonln wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:48 pm I look forward to your answers guys :)
As markets are fractal (and inputs can be adapted) indicators can be used on all TFs (generally speaking)

People using different indicators should take care that they aren't all based on the same (similar) mathematical principles (e. g. averages of price) as they will all give the same/similar signals: what seemingly looks like confluence may in fact be the same calculation (albeit in different make-ups)

3-4 Indicators should give 3-4 different signals:
one for directional bias
one for entry
one for exit (TP)
one for SL
no confluence/confirmation is needed...

Depending on your approach (scalping, swing trading etc; trend trading; reversal trading; range trading) your inputs should reflect the price action that is decisive for your system.

PS:
Your questions are much too vague to be productivley used to base any system on anwers.
You need much more detail, I think,
beginning with entries (limit, stop, at market price? open candle vs closed candle etc)
up to: which higher TF will reflect my directional bias and why....
(the tiniest alteration in any of many inputs/decisions can make the difference between a profitable and a losing system)
Anyway: all the best
These users thanked the author josi for the post:
Jon

josi wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:28 pm As markets are fractal (and inputs can be adapted) indicators can be used on all TFs (generally speaking)

People using different indicators should take care that they aren't all based on the same (similar) mathematical principles (e. g. averages of price) as they will all give the same/similar signals: what seemingly looks like confluence may in fact be the same calculation (albeit in different make-ups)

3-4 Indicators should give 3-4 different signals:
one for directional bias
one for entry
one for exit (TP)
one for SL
no confluence is needed...

Depending on your approach (scalping, swing trading etc; trend trading; reversal trading; range trading) your inputs should reflect the price action that is decisive for your system.

PS:
Your questions are much too vague to be productivley used to base any system on anwers.
You need much more detail, I think,
beginning with entries (limit, stop, at market price? open candle vs closed candle etc)
up to: which higher TF will reflect my directional bias and why....
(the tiniest alteration in any of many inputs/decisions can make the difference between a profitable and a losing system)
Anyway: all the best
Thankyou josi, Always enjoy your answers :)

I am quite happy with my manual trading system for now but i am always looking to improve it as we all are

Yes i agree the questions were quite vague, I was hoping different types of traders would chip in and give their insight

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Can all indicators be used on various timeframes? Can an indicator that was designed for the 15 min chart be used on the 4 hour or daily?

A: Of course, unless the coder is restricting his indicator to be shown on other timeframes for whatever reasons.

For new members looking to design their own trading systems what should they look for?

A: for new members, do it the NNFX way.

1. Baseline
2. confirmation 1
3. confirmation 2
4. Volume
5. ATR

Then depeding on how your system looks like you can drop/add stuff.

Would you say they need to increase or decrease the period settings the higher the timeframe?

A: most often of times you need to try both increase and decrease the default settings by a big amount and then slowly tweak them from there

A: Indicators being in harmony is important, but dont try to change their settings in the way that they show the same things. There is no need to have 3 indicators on your chart that show the exact same signals. Indicators should filter each other out to give you higher probability trades. If they all show the same thing you might as well delete 2 out of 3.
These users thanked the author PumbaPLS for the post (total 2):
Jon, Jedidiah
You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it. You must learn to see the world anew

Jonln wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:48 pm With the vast amount of indicators available my question is -

I look forward to your answers guys :)

Not really answering your question but just posting some relevant info, I remember reading many years ago the process by which the default settings for big release indicators are devised. I think the example used was for MACD where they simply ran hundreds of simulations of different combinations of the input parameters, each simulation producing it's own log chart to be used for comparison and from which they finally chose the 12,26,9 setting.

The thing is that the hundreds of simulations were all run on the daily chart, that was the standard (not just for MACD), they did not repeat for any other time frame and so the inferrence was that if a different time frame was being used you might want to play around with the defaults.
These users thanked the author Ogee for the post (total 3):
josi, Jon, Lightningstorm7

Ogee wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:16 am Not really answering your question but just posting some relevant info, I remember reading many years ago the process by which the default settings for big release indicators are devised. I think the example used was for MACD where they simply ran hundreds of simulations of different combinations of the input parameters, each simulation producing it's own log chart to be used for comparison and from which they finally chose the 12,26,9 setting.

The thing is that the hundreds of simulations were all run on the daily chart, that was the standard (not just for MACD), they did not repeat for any other time frame and so the inferrence was that if a different time frame was being used you might want to play around with the defaults.
Very interesting! Thanks for posting Ogee

PumbaPLS wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:18 am Can all indicators be used on various timeframes? Can an indicator that was designed for the 15 min chart be used on the 4 hour or daily?

A: Of course, unless the coder is restricting his indicator to be shown on other timeframes for whatever reasons.

A: for new members, do it the NNFX way.

1. Baseline
2. confirmation 1
3. confirmation 2
4. Volume
5. ATR

Then depeding on how your system looks like you can drop/add stuff.

A: most often of times you need to try both increase and decrease the default settings by a big amount and then slowly tweak them from there

A: Indicators being in harmony is important, but dont try to change their settings in the way that they show the same things. There is no need to have 3 indicators on your chart that show the exact same signals. Indicators should filter each other out to give you higher probability trades. If they all show the same thing you might as well delete 2 out of 3.
I've consumed everything NNFX has to offer and still follow his blogs, It's definitely a good place to start for new traders. I literally binged the whole lot within a few weeks :Rofl: