Please take a few minutes to read our rules before posting: Forex-Station's Rules. Are you following them?

IdeaRecommend me indicator to identify the current trend?

Hello community of forex-station!!!

I want to identify the current trend of a TF (Time frame) for example H1, I want to know if it is in an upward or downward trend or is in range.

In this way I execute operations in a lower TF (Time frame) for example M15 in trend identify, avoiding operations against the trend.

I appreciate very much the recommendations of you friends, also this question that I have can help many.

Greetings and thanks.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Re: Recommend me indicator to identify the current trend?

I would not recommend using MTF. In any case, I don't see any benefit in having less data (which is what MTF is)
If you want to use "higher TF" use bigger periods on your indicators
like : to know the trend, use a 400 period MA on H1 instead of a 100 period MA on H4, you'll have better resolution and catch turns before using MTF
These users thanked the author ionone for the post (total 2):
Skyold, newbie4ever

InfoRe: Recommend me indicator to identify the current trend?

ionone wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:39 pm I would not recommend using MTF. In any case, I don't see any benefit in having less data (which is what MTF is)
If you want to use "higher TF" use bigger periods on your indicators
like : to know the trend, use a 400 period MA on H1 instead of a 100 period MA on H4, you'll have better resolution and catch turns before using MTF
Expanding on Jeff's post above, this is true, you can substitute MTF with larger Moving Average periods and so on which is particularly useful for non-repainting indicators.

Multi-timeframe mode is convenient, but it naturally has to repaint (before the higher timeframe candle reaches it's Close).

For traders who are new to MTF, please read:

PS: Three indicators that are great for trends are:

Good luck with your trading journey.
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post (total 2):
newbie4ever, Jedidiah
Are you looking for a Forex broker? FBS cuts spreads by up to 58%. Click here to begin your trading journey, today.
No commissions are earned by Forex-station.

Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

Re: Recommend me indicator to identify the current trend?

Identifying trends may seem simple, but in fact it is the most complicated problem. All indicators, in the final analysis, are to answer this question.

The trend is actually a more subjective view. Different traders may have different opinions on the same trend.

1. First define: Divide all trends into three types: uptrend, downtrend, and neither rise nor fall ("consolidation").

2. Define the trend level: 5-minute chart trend, 30-minute chart trend, daily trend and so on. The upward trend of the 5-minute chart may only be "consolidation" in the 30-minute chart and the daily chart.

3. Then go to viewtopic.php?f=579496&t=8472182&start=1160 and find an indicator to analyze the trend.

4. Now, we might as well use the High-low trend mtf 3 BT indicator processed by teacher kvak today to illustrate: (I adjusted the parameters of this indicator for easy explanation)

My definition is: any period of trend, as long as it is higher than the previous period, is an upward trend;
As long as it is lower than the previous period, it is a downward trend;
Not higher than the previous paragraph, or not lower than the previous paragraph, is "consolidation."
These users thanked the author 太虚一毫 for the post (total 3):
Jimmy, newbie4ever, Jedidiah