Please take a few minutes to read our rules before posting: Forex-Station's Rules. Are you following them?

Advice Needed: True breakout - best indicator?

There are so many indicators out there, and honestly a lot of them I'm not quite sure how to use properly. I am a big fan of trend indicators, and I am wanting to get better at jumping on the trends BEFORE they're half over and strongly confirmed.

So I'm looking for suggestions on what indicator(s) are best for showing the strength/validity of a breakout. I tend to hesitate to the point where I don't place enough trades because while my understanding of price action along with a couple of great trend indicators are saying "new trend!" I am still not sure if it's just a false breakout or a true start to a new trend.

There's all the theories about double or triple tops/bottoms, but I often find myself getting stopped out on a 4th, 5th, or even 6th top/bottom. So what do you guys use as evidence of an actual strong push in the new trend?

Am I best off waiting for a strong trend to start and use Moving Average crossovers to place trades? That looks doable, but you also miss out on a lot of potential pips.

Any advice, indicator suggestions, or helpful readings on this topic would be greatly appreciated so I can quit second guessing myself out of placing a trade!

Thanks!

Re: Advice Needed: True breakout - best indicator?

FBI wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:14 am Screenshot_4.png
So I can't seem to find the RVI indicator that you've got there, but is this basically showing the same thing? Or is it not valid because the overbought is not high enough?

Yes, I agree, it's clear if you do some thinking and have the right indicators that are telling you the most useful information. The key is knowing what information is truly important!!
Attachments

Re: Advice Needed: True breakout - best indicator?

todor wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:39 pm I am mostly into scalping, as of now i don't have any proper strategy, I trade place just like that (i know it could lead me to enormous losses), what could be a good indicator for me?
RSI is what I would suggest. But yes, you can start with learning first, see what all is there for you to use as a scalper, exploring is must.
These users thanked the author Torrie8 for the post:
euro_rapp