IndicatorDiscussion of Precision Trend indicator

I am keen to start discussing interesting trend indicators to see how different people are using them successfully. I am starting with the Precision Trend indicator which can be found here - viewtopic.php?p=1295475125&sid=cac431b9 ... 1295475125

I hope this does not violate any forum rules and that admins are ok with this.

I have backtested this indicator with the following conditions
  • Timeframe - Daily
  • Indicator Parameters - Default
  • Pairs - EURUSD, EURGBP, CHFJPY, AUDCAD, AUDNZD
  • Duration - from 01/01/2016 to 31/12/2019
  • Signals - Go long on the first green candle, go short on the first red candle
  • SL - 1.5x ATR
  • TP - 1x ATR
Here are my results
  • EURUSD Total trades - 27, Winrate - 29.63%
  • EURGBP Total trades - 36, Winrate - 52.78%
  • CHFJPY Total trades - 22, Winrate - 36.36%
  • AUDCAD Total trades - 23, Winrate - 52.17
  • AUDNZD Total trades - 25, Winrate - 48.00%
So obviously, other than the number of trades being very low, the winrates are not great either.

Have you had any success with this indicator? May be with a different setting, on a different timeframe or in combination with another indicator?

Re: Discussion of Precision Trend indicator

xpf2003 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:36 am

So obviously, other than the number of trades being very low, the winrates are not great either.

Have you had any success with this indicator? May be with a different setting, on a different timeframe or in combination with another indicator?
Yes, the results emphasise the fact that there is no single indicator that can do it all and why some kind of filter is necessary, something to keep you out of the worst entries, though that makes the testing more complicated.

So for example, just grabbing something at random, no shorts when the HMA is blue and no longs when the HMA is orange.

So a short entry would be on the first red candle after the HMA has turned orange.

I would also reconsider the target, getting out on only 1 x ATR won't work if you only have 1 chance to get in on any trend (first
colour candle) hence the low number of trades in the test, you would be better off letting the trade run so try a trailing ATR stop loss rather than a profit target.
Attachments