Re: Cap Channel Trading Indicator

Tspring wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:24 am Hi everyone, I think TMA channel has some issue, look at the image: in backtest mode (chart on the right) the channel is painted different from the live mode. I'm not using external historical data....
yes this is what's called "repainting"
on the left the curve changes direction before any sign of price reversal

ionone wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:23 pm

yes this is what's called "repainting"
on the left the curve changes direction before any sign of price reversal
I don't understand, I thought repainting was a totally different thing. I was backtesting it but the channel never repainted itself while testing, only draw a different shape compared to the one on the live chart. Actually the one on the left (live chart) respects the tops and bottoms of price better than the one on the offline chart. So if the channel behave like that it seems good for using with live trading strategies, the only problem is that you can't backtest it because it turns out different. Am I missing something?

Tspring wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:31 am

I don't understand, I thought repainting was a totally different thing. I was backtesting it but the channel never repainted itself while testing, only draw a different shape compared to the one on the live chart. Actually the one on the left (live chart) respects the tops and bottoms of price better than the one on the offline chart. So if the channel behave like that it seems good for using with live trading strategies, the only problem is that you can't backtest it because it turns out different. Am I missing something?
repainting is basically reading the future and painting some signal in the present time with these datas. Of course it cannot work when you backtest the indicator, because it then has no idea of the future.

ionone wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:16 pm

repainting is basically reading the future and painting some signal in the present time with these datas. Of course it cannot work when you backtest the indicator, because it then has no idea of the future.
I am still confused. If you put the TMA_centered_bands.ex4 indicator in backtest you can see that it will clearly recalculate, but if you lauch a backtest with TMA+CG mladen NRP.ex4 indicator it will behave in a different way, it will not recalculate (except the last bar).......