TDI Indicators for MT4

Moderators: mntiwana, mrtools

TDI Indicators for MT4

The TDI indicator first appeared in the early 2000's and was popularized by Dean Malone and a dear old friend of mine from Forex Factory named Eric aka eelfranz "Big E" who sadly passed away a few years ago.

In 2006 the TDI was a revolutionary indicator when it first appeared and to this day is still widely used and customized by traders and coders worldwide.
Basically the indicator was just a simple combination of an RSI (Green line), a Moving Average for crossovers (Red line) a Bollinger Band with a setting of 34 and a Standard Deviation of 1.6185 (Blue "Volatility Bands") and another Moving Average set to 34 (Yellow "Market Base Line") all combined into one sub window.

There have been many TDI indicators released over the past decade and one common complaint over the years was that the indicator repainted - which was true but hardly an issue if you were taking trades at the close of the candle on higher timeframes.

I used this indicator as a trading newbie eons ago and stuck with it for years. Till this day I can still use it successfully for live trend trading.
The thing we need to understand is it's not the most accurate indicator out there (not even close) but if you trade it with some effort you'll learn to love this indicator just as much as I did!

Tip: One of the easiest ways to trade the original repainting TDI is to wait for the 4 Hour TDI cross to signal, making sure the green TDI cross is on a "strong angle" and not entering straight away but zooming down into the 5 Minute chart and sitting patiently waiting for the 5 Minute chart's TDI to cross into the direction of the 4 Hour chart's TDI cross signal.
By doing this you reduce drawdown and can take pips from the market easily and reliably.
Personally I made thousands of live pips with this method and found it the most reliable way of trading with the trend without over complicating things.

Post your TDI indicators here!

EURUSDM15TDI.png
Attachments
Traders Dynamic Index Alerts.mq4
(15.16 KiB) Downloaded 757 times
Myfxbook live trading results (new 2019 account coming soon)
Need custom MT4 coding? Send a PM to Mrtools or post here for a quote!

TDI indicator for mobile

Here is how to include the full TDI indicator with Volatility Bands and Market Base Line on your mobile or tablet version of MT4 (or any other platform that doesn't have the TDI).

1. Insert an RSI with the colour set to your background colour or to "None" if you have that option.
2. Set the RSI period to "13", Apply it to "Close".
3. Insert a Moving Average into the RSI's indicator window and set that period to "2", "Simple", apply it to "Previous Indicator's Data" and make that line Green.
4. Insert another Moving Average into the RSI's indicator window and set that period to "7", "Simple", apply it to "Previous Indicator's Data" and make that line Red.
5. Insert a Bollinger Band into the RSI's indicator window and set that to "34" with a deviation of "1.619", apply it to "First Indicator's Data" and set that line to Blue.
6. Inset a Moving Average again into the RSI's indicator window and set it to "34", "Simple", apply it to "First Indicator's Data" and set that line to Yellow.

And there you have it. The complete TDI for your mobile, tablet or any other platform :mrgreen:

1Screenshot_20170825-232946.png
2Screenshot_20170825-232952.png
3Screenshot_20170825-232957.png
4Screenshot_20170825-233001.png
5Screenshot_20170825-233005.png
6Screenshot_20170825-232922.png

Re: TDI Indicators for MT4

mrtools wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:55 pm
Added red(rsi ma signal) cross green(rsi ma) greater or less than Yellow(volatility band middle) to this version of TDI.
Beautiful work mrtools! Thank you.

TDI RT Real Time version

TDI Realtime version.

It will be great if mrtools/mladen add divergence showing option to this indicator.

Kind regards
Attachments
TDI_RT.ex4
(4.77 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
TDI_RT.mq4
(8.51 KiB) Downloaded 414 times

jjventural wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:59 pm
My own version of TDI. A 20 linear weighted moving average added. Working very well...
How do you use 20 lwma.
I am seeing cross between base line and lwma works great for finding trend.

Yes it's good for remaining withing the trend until 20 lwma crosses the base line. Also it's good for avoiding a fake entry and for reversal . See pictures attached.
Attachments
InkedInkedScreen Shot 08-28-17 at 04.01 PM_LI.jpg
InkedScreen Shot 08-28-17 at 03.57 PM_LI.jpg