Re: Does this indicator repaint?

FLINNS wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:45 am I don't know how it's done. If I knew, I wouldn't ask
it's not difficult just time consuming unless you have the mql4 file or a simulator though even then 14 would still take quite a bit of time, maybe limit it to just a couple each post would be less intimidating and more likely to get a response.

How do you know if an indicator repaints?

The easiest way to find out if an indicator repaints is to:

Place the indicator on a 1 minute chart
Observe if it changes it's readings later as new price data comes in

As new price data comes in, do the arrows on the chart dissappear? Does the Oscillator change it's crossings or slopes later on after a few candles? These are common signs of repainting.

As explained by Jeff, code-wise, you can u spot repainters:

When bars are accessed in the wrong order
For example: for (int j = 0; j < limit; j++)
When there is a minus index
For example indicator0 = iCustom(NULL,0,"indi", 0, i-1)
Indicates a reading in the future.

viewtopic.php?t=8473348
These users thanked the author Ogee for the post:
Jimmy

FLINNS wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:12 am Hello everyone. As promised, I put the indicators to check whether they draw or not. Maybe they just need to be optimally configured.
Looks like all the mt4 versions you posted probably repaint/recalculate, the platinum maybe it doesn't but since it's decompiled hard to tell and all the ex4's you need to test maybe on the mt4 strategy tester to verify one way or the other.
These users thanked the author mrtools for the post:
Chickenspicy

Hey Flinn, they repaint. You may also have a look at our article about repainting and see examples here: What is a repainting indicator?

But if you are still unsure of any indicator, just post it up here and we'll check them for you :)

FLINNS wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:17 am Thanks for the answer, but I don't know how to test :facepalm:
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post:
FLINNS
Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

I use soft4fx to backtest with dukascopy data.
When I press "next candle" it prints different to when I run the test on speed ticks/sec.
Maybe it is not an repaint issue, just an issue due to I run the test to fast and jump to next candle?
I do not know, do anyone have any experience in this matter?

thanks
bjork wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:47 am Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if this indicator repaints or not?
Thank you

bjork wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:07 am I use soft4fx to backtest with dukascopy data.
When I press "next candle" it prints different to when I run the test on speed ticks/sec.
Maybe it is not an repaint issue, just an issue due to I run the test to fast and jump to next candle?
I do not know, do anyone have any experience in this matter?

thanks
If it the same as this version, yes it repaints. Maybe try some of our ma cross indicators here in the forum they don't repaint.
These users thanked the author mrtools for the post:
bjork