QuestionMT4 no longer starts

Hello to all,

I use the MT4 from ICmarkets.
For a few days now I have had the problem, that the MT4 can no longer be started. I click on it, then it looks like it is about to start for 2-3 seconds but nothing happens.

I tried it as an admin, I tried it without a firewall or security, even in safe mode it doesn't work.
The demand at ICmarkets also yielded nothing.

I have saved some indicators and templates under it, does anyone have an idea how I can get to them now?

Many thanks for all help !!

Greetings

MaxTorque

Re: MT4 no longer starts

MaxTorque wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:46 pm Hello to all,

For a few days now I have had the problem, that the MT4 can no longer be started. I click on it, then it looks like it is about to start for 2-3 seconds but nothing happens.

I tried it as an admin, I tried it without a firewall or security, even in safe mode it doesn't work.

I have saved some indicators and templates under it, does anyone have an idea how I can get to them now?

Greetings

MaxTorque
In your MetaTrader 4 at the top, Go to File > Open Data Folder.

This will take you straight to a folder named with lots of random numbers and letters eg. 9D15457EC01AD10E06A932AAC616DC32

All of your contents are in that folder. Save them all, or zip them up, Uninstall and Re-install your MT4.

Copy all the contents that you've saved from that folder into your new Data folder (it will be a different number as it changes for ever MT4 Platform install).

PS: Also try this method before uninstalling your MT4, too: MT4 Keeps closing down after it opens.
Attachments
Important: The worst forex brokers of all time 👎

Have often wondered if you can get to that folder without opening mt4 (or if mt4 won't start).

Otherwise, if mt4 is corrupted you need to uninstall but check the 'Save personal data' box before ok.

But sometimes that just takes you back and mt4 still won't start and need to uninstall again without it. Then reinstall the IC markets exe in your Downloads folder and start again without your old indys and templates.

If I understand the issue correctly........To avoid it, whatever terminal I use, I always got a shortcut of the folder on my desktop. Any new stuff I copy into that folder instead of opening it from the terminal.
If for any reason I have to uninstall the terminal, I still have all my stuff safe on my desktop.

Greetings

MaxTorque
Hi Max,

If you dont want to reinstall before you get into the terminal folder, and you cant open terminal, to perform File > Open Data Folder..
I got couple more advices you might use, hope they help.

- First try open MetaEditor and follow the same unstructions as for terminal File > Open Data Folder..

- If Metaeditor is also not running, try use that path to find the folder, but add your username

C:\Users\HERE YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\

and then find terminal folder, it should be named something like 42FSDF45GDGHGFH565HGHGF843DHHDHD
Sincerely,
Sergei

Greetings

MaxTorque
MT4 will open with the last default profile. If you have loaded some indi's etc. which did the platform freeze MT4 will try to load these again when re starting. If you delete the default profile in map profiles MT4 will load a new profile without the indi's you loaded before. This will often help
best M.
ps if you created another profile you have to delete this one of course (the last profile MT4 was running)

Hey Max, did you manage okay?
Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

thank all you for your help.

unfortunately I couldn't solve the problem.

Since the Metatrader cannot be opened at all, of course I cannot get to the files either.

The detour via Explorer and then right-clicking to open the file folder didn't help either, because the files stored there are practically empty.

I need a way to get to the stored files without opening Metatrader. Are there any resourceful programmers here who could help me?

Thank you and Greetings

MaxTorque wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:10 pm thank all you for your help.

unfortunately I couldn't solve the problem.

Since the Metatrader cannot be opened at all, of course I cannot get to the files either.

The detour via Explorer and then right-clicking to open the file folder didn't help either, because the files stored there are practically empty.

I need a way to get to the stored files without opening Metatrader. Are there any resourceful programmers here who could help me?

Thank you and Greetings
Did you try Sergei's advice (post #5)? open C:\Users\HERE YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\. Then you do not have to run MT4.

But the map AppData is by default hidden in Windows.

best M.