Re: I have been writing code for 38 years.. Ask me anything (AMA)

It's not entirely clear to me, or ... it's not at all clear what this thread is about and what exactly the author was trying to say and convey to the audience. The fact that you are a good, and maybe even an excellent programmer does not mean that you are a good trader. In other words, there is no equal sign between programming and trading. Although, in a sense, these are to some extent related specialties, proceeding at least from the fact that both a programmer and a technical trader are people with a mathematical (technical) mindset. But this does not mean that every good programmer is necessarily a successful trader. There are many good coders on this resource, but I have no information that any of them blew up the market and poured some of it into their own pocket using their programming skills.
You say that those tools and indicators that exist in an accessible form for technical analysis are of little use due to the fact that they only show history. But a logical question arises .... What do you think should be used? What methods and approaches would you personally use in your algorithms?
In other words, I would like some specifics in your posts, so that they would have some useful information for everyone. And if you have something to share, I think everyone will be happy to see and hear it. Otherwise, the dialogue (or monologue) loses its meaning.

ziggy wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:17 am i sometimes comment that the most important thing to do as a trader is to learn to calculate a proper and correct TARGET PRICE....

... and do you know that people will debate me into the ground about this, they will explain to me that this is not the most important thing to do?

yup.
This is absolutely correct statement and it can be justified logically ...
First, knowing the target level will allow you to successfully close the current position with the maximum profit.
Second, by knowing the extremum levels, you can swing trading from one peak to the next, making the most of the price cycles.
But the trouble is that it is practically impossible ...
There are no algorithms capable of correctly predicting the extreme levels that the price will form with a good probability and high frequency. Therefore, those traders who take a small but stable profit from their positions are more right than those, who wait until the price reaches certain target levels, which it should reach, according to their concept, and as a result, often initially profitable positions turn out to be unprofitable, and trader loses, and the price never reaches that expected target level.

ImpLaNT wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:00 pm Then for what purpose did you create this thread?
  • i wanted to introduce myself and to describe my history as a self taught programmer.
  • i would enjoy to engage others in conversation about coding specific issues.
  • i would enjoy very much to meet others that have had hands on experience with hooking up to liquidity providers.
  • it is my ultimate goal to establish a brokerage that handles fully managed accounts that is fully licensed and regulated in multiple jurisdictions.