IndicatorTMA - Triangular Moving Average indicators MT4

TMA - Triangular Moving Average

It's definition is fairly simple and one can be (among other places) be found here : Triangular Moving Average -

Description of the Triangular Moving Average (TMA).

Here is how a normal triangular moving average looks like on a chart : Now, at some stage of TA development people like Hurst and Brian Millard were thinking how can that be made better (since obviously there is a lag in the data that TMA is calculating - the most significant price in calculation is in the middle if the length so it is a half way from the current price, current price has less weight in that calculation) and they came to an idea that was already used in some other indicators : to "center" it.

Now centering is simply shifting values to the left on the chart by half length bars and after doing that it looks like this : As it is obvious, by shifting it to the left, it fits perfectly the data but it starts lacking data from the right. And then comes in the centered (repainting) version of triangular moving average ...

Does TMA repaint?

No. The only TMA that repaints is the Centered TMA (see the post below).

These users thanked the author mladen for the post (total 3):
euro_rapp, mhipolito, Lodi

IdeaRe: TMA - Triangular Moving Average indicators MT4

Triangular moving average - Centered

The repainting TMA

In order to avoid that missing data, people have found out that it might be extrapolated (the missing data) and that is what is usually used as centered triangular moving average : TMA that is shifted by half length to the left and the missing data is extrapolated in a certain way. Here is how the usual centered TMA looks like :The gap from the right is filled in and it all looks just fine. Except that there is no 100% exact way of extrapolating data. So, that extrapolated gap is a subject of changes no matter what extrapolation method one uses (otherwise I would be drinking coffee with Warren Buffett in the morning and not in my kitchen).

There is no way to make the "Centered" TMA non-repainting. None ... So much about the wonders of centered triangular moving averages : it is a good tool for estimation, but in no way should it be used in "signaling" mode since the signals are going to change

These users thanked the author mladen for the post (total 3):
euro_rapp, mhipolito, nathanvbasko

Re: TMA - Triangular Moving Average indicators MT4

And the end ...And for the end : one thing that is less known.

The way how the centered triangular moving average is extrapolated makes the current bars value equal to one very well known moving average : linear weighted moving average.

Current bar value of centered TMA is exactly the same as half length + 1 period LWMA

Here is an example at which it is obvious that at the end points they are exactly the same : red is the TMA centered and blue is the LWMA

And which makes the answer to the following question obvious : can it be "end-pointed" as SSA in order to make it non-repainting.

A non-repainting Centered TMA is possible. Here's the alternative:

The answer is yes and Linear Weighted Moving Average (LWMA) is the end-pointed centered TMA (so it is the non-repainting version of the centered TMA).

Now, that would be all. I just hope that my daily regular emails about TMA will lessen now that this is explained ...
As it is obvious, it is a fairly good tool for estimation (the work of Brian Millard regarding this subject is very significant and I recommend everybody that can read his book about to do so - it might help understanding what were they after) but there is no magic nor wonder in it.

PS: For a Smoothed version of LWMA, please see here: Smoothed LWMA for MT4.
These users thanked the author mladen for the post (total 6):
euro_rapp, mhipolito, Jimmy, BeatlemaniaSA, iPar, nathanvbasko

This is the tma centered bands indicator with different deviation calculation types, the choices are, atr, standard error,st_sam, custom standard deviation - with sample correction, or custom standard deviation - without sample correction. Please remember use this for a market estimation as it recalculates.
These users thanked the author mrtools for the post (total 4):
bdunn, charli, Jimmy, nathanvbasko

hi guys
forgive me as im new to this website
i have been a fan of cycles and hurst,,,however hurst work is sometimes more then i can understand.
how ever i took the basic concept and found indicators to do what i needed.
i m not sure whose indicators i found,,i suspect maybe some of mladens 
im posting a chart of my system and welcomeany furtherhelp in improving it or if indeed indicators can be improved in any way?
my main indicator is fastlinetma
Attachments

devontrader wrote:hi guys
i have been a fan of cycles and hurst,,,however hurst work is sometimes more then i can understand.
im posting a chart of my system and welcomeany furtherhelp in improving it or if indeed indicators can be improved in any way?
Hi devontrader
We like Welcome you here,thanks for your joining us
regards
Indicator is just a tool.

Use it only if it can benefit you. Leave it if you don't know how to use it optimally.

devontrader wrote:hi guys
Hi Devontrader, your set up looks interesting, if you want you are welcome to post your set up and if we can improve it in any way we will.

devontrader wrote:hey thanks. i welcome any advice or help in improving my chart/system
Dont worry,try on different setups,experimenting and gaining knowledge is the one idea then forum's senior experts will help you time to time and when and where needed they suggest you best forming reliable indicators too
Indicator is just a tool.

Use it only if it can benefit you. Leave it if you don't know how to use it optimally.