Using volume and volatility to filter out higher risk trades

Forgive me if this in the wrong spot. I looked at all the options and this seemed like the closest fit.

I've been searching forever to find a good indicator to determine if a pair is trending and/or if a pair is likely to continue trending. I've been trying every indicator i can find, changing the settings, modifying them and even coding my own. I just don't know if I'm not thinking about it correctly or i'm missing something. Most of the stuff ive been trying is all the same concept, but just using different sources to do the calculations. All of the indicators ive been trying are basically just 2 lines oscillating. I've been trying to find something that would tell you the strength of a trend, whether its an inclining or declining trend. Like what the ADX is supposed to do, i just feel like that one is way too laggy. One indicator that ive messed around with is 1 line being the ema of the volume, and 1 line being a longer ema of the volume. Then i can see if volume has been higher recently. I also look if there is correlation to volume rising and trends. Or i try an ema of the volume and then an ema of that and compare the two. I've been trying a lot of the same things but with volatility. I've also been trying oscillators and just determining if the are high or low, like the ADX. I feel like i'm in a rut, looking for this. The ADX would be perfect for what I want, but it just seems to lag way too far behind.

Can anyone help me out in any way? Or give me new ideas to try?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Re: Using volume and volatility to filter out higher risk trades

yes, what timeframe you are using, every trader is a different, risk tolerance and so on
IMO is best to have so low timeframe as you can get (like ticks or M1) and there you can have loooong settings with your indicators,
just because, then you are trading like you were trading in high timeframe, and you are not, and entries/stoplosses are minimal/tiny
you can have for example 1Day MA, 2DayMA and 5DayMa in M1 chart, and some good oscillator for entries, so you can actually trade in M1 like you were trading in weekly chart.
Hope that helps.

Re: Using volume and volatility to filter out higher risk trades

im open to anything, but i've been using the daily. Also, as i'm not actually doing any trading, just looking at charts, i look at many different markets. My goal is just to find something that has a consistent win/loss rate and i don't have to involve my emotions, eg, buy when indicator 1, 2 and 3 all say buy and sell when indicator 4 says to sell. Something like that

i'll take a look at some lower time frames and see if it gets me anywhere. like you say, if my ema needs to be based on the 2,400 period hourly instead of the 100 period daily, should provide the same results