Please take a few minutes to read our rules before posting: Forex-Station's Rules. Are you following them?

Proprietary trading (Prop Trading)

Is anybody here as proprietary trader ? or prop trader ?

I know something about the meaning of it , but I want your experience , not just some words with google search .

Proprietary trading (also "prop trading") occurs when a trader trades stocks, bonds, currencies, commodities, their derivatives, or other financial instruments with the firm's own money, aka the nostro account, contrary to depositors' money, in order to make a profit for itself.

Re: Proprietary trading (Prop Trading)

macd & rsi wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:53 pm Is anybody here as proprietary trader ? or prop trader ?

I know something about the meaning of it , but I want your experience , not just some words with google search .

Proprietary trading (also "prop trading") occurs when a trader trades stocks, bonds, currencies, commodities, their derivatives, or other financial instruments with the firm's own money, aka the nostro account, contrary to depositors' money, in order to make a profit for itself.
Hey man!
Yes I'm a former prop trader and I traded Bonds and Futures for a well-known investment bank and also a prop trading firm after.

As an experienced prop trader I enjoyed what I learnt by being in the industry but just letting you know it's absolutely reverse to what all the "retail" trading educators will tell you. Trading professionally is almost night and day compared to retail trading and the amount of new knowledge the bank and the prop firms pack into your head is unthinkable.
Put it this way, we focused on fundamentals, STIRS (Short Term Interest Rates), spread trading, "Legging" (getting into spreads one at a time), Market making and much more.
We traded against the trend and many of us didn't even use charts let alone indicators (we traded off the DOM ladder)!

Many prop traders including myself made the most from a strategy called "market making" using the DOM. This was my bread and butter.

Do you make money from being a prop trader it? Yes! It definitely can be more rewarding than retail trading that's for sure. But having to pay desk fees and only getting a cut from what you earn for the firm at the end of the month is what makes most prop traders pack up and leave and trade for themselves.

Is there anything in particular that makes you interested in prop trading?
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post (total 3):
macd & rsi, ERP The Trader, Patrick K
Are you looking for a Forex broker? FBS cuts spreads by up to 58%. Click here to begin your trading journey, today.
No commissions are earned by Forex-station.

Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

Hello all so i’m new to trading I wanted to know what people thought of the forex prop firms out there. Firms like 5ers, traders4traders capital, City Traders Imperium, Audacity Capital, Apiary Funds, Traders Central Fund most of them with low entry fees have drawdown limit of 4%. I one day will make a living from these firms , is 4% to tight and if your are funded with any firms please share your experience
Build. Test. Trade

ERP The Trader wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:25 pm Hello all so i’m new to trading I wanted to know what people thought of the forex prop firms out there. Firms like 5ers, traders4traders capital, City Traders Imperium, Audacity Capital, Apiary Funds, Traders Central Fund most of them with low entry fees have drawdown limit of 4%. I one day will make a living from these firms , is 4% to tight and if your are funded with any firms please share your experience
Topic merged. I use to be a prop trader. See my post above!
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post:
ERP The Trader
Are you looking for a Forex broker? FBS cuts spreads by up to 58%. Click here to begin your trading journey, today.
No commissions are earned by Forex-station.

Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

Jimmy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:39 pm

Topic merged. I use to be a prop trader. See my post above!
Prop trading takes a long time to become profitable. Just ask Jimmy. The first 6 months of working at one will see you without any income. After that, you'll start making money but bear in mind you'll be paying desk fees, platform fees and what not.

Now, about Apiary, I wouldn't consider them a prop firm. It's a scam. Here's a post by our member Moey: Apiary Fund Scam :thumbdown:
These users thanked the author ChuChu Rocket for the post:
ERP The Trader
Important: The worst forex brokers of all time 👎

ChuChu Rocket wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:44 pm

Prop trading takes a long time to become profitable. Just ask Jimmy. The first 6 months of working at one will see you without any income. After that, you'll start making money but bear in mind you'll be paying desk fees, platform fees and what not.

Now, about Apiary, I wouldn't consider them a prop firm. It's a scam. Here's a post by our member Moey: Apiary Fund Scam :thumbdown:
Thanks for letting me know about them !! and i’m playing the long game 🐢 thanks to my mentor so i’m not going to quit my 9-5 yet 😭 , and some of the firms I mentioned only have one time fees but with that comes with very tight drawdown limits like 4%...
Build. Test. Trade