Re: To scalp or swing trade? That is the question

If I may give my view,
Firstly , I would like to say,that I wish I had a dollar for every time these subjects come up..
The secret to being a successful trader , is to first understand yourself .
Close associates of mine , I would deem to be successful , we have all traded for some 30 years.
We have paid our dues,all busted a couple of accounts in the early years etc.
We all trade completely differently to each other.
The trick is to find the method and time frame that suits you, at that time., I do not mean find some ones winning system,you have to develop your own.
At times in my life , I have felt more comfortable trading the daily and at other times scalping 5 minute charts...it does not matter,there is no right or wrong way.
When you feel comfortable sitting at the computer and being in a 15 straight losing streak, and being able to forget it and look forward to trading tomorrow..then that is the right time frame and type of tradeing for you.
AussieBeau

Yesterday I participated in a webinar with Norman Welz, a German trader and trader psychologist for many years. His clients are retail traders with 2.000€ up to financial Institutions with more than 200 million €. He said that everybody has to work out his own unique trading plan. It can't work when you have no plan or just copy one from someone other. He said further that there are many guys with obviously no trading career but copying the words of others. As example he gave the wide-spread 2-3% risk rule. He said none of his clients uses it. The traders with much more money try to stimulate the market and if it reacts they go in with more risk.
These users thanked the author Krelian99 for the post:
galaxy

InfoRe: To scalp or swing trade? That is the question

Excellent thread!

Personally I've always been an intraday trader and a scalper (especially when trading Futures). Not because I can't swing trade but I was actually taught this way in my early days of trading and learning to be an institutional bond trader.

In bonds we were specifically taught how to "Market Make". Market Making was basically scalping for a few ticks then close and re-enter again each time our order was filled. We would set 5 x Long orders and 5 x Short orders at every second tick, both ways and that was it. In and out the whole day. This was how we were taught as institutional traders.

If anyone is familiar with DOM trading here is a screenshot from work when we Market Make and scalp in trading bonds.
The first column on the ladder (AU 3 Year Treasury Bonds) shows my Market Making (scalping) orders.
In retail Forex when I trade I like to take 10-20 pips and I'm out. Rinse and repeat.

As one of my old trading teachers would say:
These users thanked the author Jimmy for the post (total 5):
DVanAssen, 太虚一毫, Jedidiah, moey_dw, galaxy
Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance

Krelian99 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:16 am The DOM is definitely something I want to try on MT5 or NT8 when I'll have it :) I read and watched some vids this week here: www.jigsawtrading.com/learn-to-trade/fr ... s-lessons/
Till now I find the DOM a bit confusing. Cumulative delta or Footprint charts aren't much different but much more easy to understand. So, when we have some questions about DOM we can ask you, Jimmy?
Of course! Yes it takes a little while to get your head around it.

Do you trade futures as well? Or are you thinking of learning to use a DOM for Forex? As you probably already know, you wouldn't get much out of using a DOM in forex as forex volume and tick data are not equivalent as the volume and ticks you'll be seeing in a DOM in forex are just "quotes", not completed trades. This is because forex is not cetralized unlike futures (you'll only be seeing the data of your broker and not of the exchange).
Even with something like Currenex ECN their "Bid/Offer Matrix" is of not much use as you will only be seeing the liquidity and not seeing orders being stacked and what is actually hitting the bid/offer.

Fore retail forex I use fundamentals and technicals and that's it. I did have a look at some "DOM's" like cTrader's etc but it's not very useful for forex (for me at least) :)
Guide to the "All Averages" Filters (ADXvma, Laguerre etc.) 🆕
Use Fibonacci numbers for indicator settings + How to draw Fibonacci Extensions
An easy trick for drawing Support & Resistance