AGAIN: Is there a holy grail in trading?
1. My colleague at the office bought a new iPhone and a new car too. I'm really surprised how he could manage it, given that I am his senior and I can't even afford these upgrades. How can his cake be bigger than me?
2. He told me that he made a killing in trading stocks. He also told me that he just spends few minutes on the screen placing orders and that's it. He makes money everyday. I got to do it too.
3. I've opened a trading and demat account and even my broker told me that I can make big money trading derivatives. But I am confused as I do not know anything about it.
4. Today my relationship manager (broker's representative) visited and provided training of the interface. I shared my confusion with him. But he assured me that trading is amazingly easy. In fact, he said that I won't have to do anything, he will tell me on phone, what to buy and sell. I'd just have to place the orders on the interface. I am so happy and relieved now.
5. I've told my wife that it's just a matter of few months that we will buy our new car and would even go on a foreign vacation. She is very happy too.
6. If this works the way my broker has assured me, I'd be able to leave the damn job and become a full time trader. That's the kind of life I always imagined. There is so much politics in office now and my boss is also an idiot. God knows how they made him the boss. I always wanted to be my own boss. This is my opportunity in life. I will become a full time trader and will trade from anywhere I want. In fact, I saw few blogs on the internet and I saw the pictures of few traders. One was trading from the beach while sipping a drink. One was sitting in a coffee shop and making money. And here I am, working 10 hours a day in the office and still struggling to make the ends meet. I am an engineer and an MBA too. I am a hard working fellow as well. I also deserve such a life.
7. Today is where it all starts. I placed my first orders and now waiting to make money. I don't understand why price is going down. I can't believe I lost 10% of my trading capital in one day. Let me call my broker. My broker told me that it happened because of some news item related to oil. He also told me that not just my stock, but whole market collapsed, so nothing to worry
8. I lost today too. But now I know my mistake. I read on internet that my broker has a conflict of interest with me. He makes money even if I win or lose. His only objective is to make me do more transactions. Enough. Let me take control of my trading. Anyway, better late than never. I'll make a fresh start.
9. But to take self control of my trading, I need to learn. I searched internet and got to know that there is something called 'Technical Analysis' and that is the holy grail of trading. I'll just buy a book of technical analysis and join few groups on facebook. I'v found few amazing groups. So many people put technical graphs there. There are so many lines on the graphs. This is complex stuff. These guys must be very intelligent. They all must be rich fellows too. Now I know what it takes.
10. I finished reading a book on technical analysis. Now I know what to do. I have done some paper trades too and I'm doing so well. I will just start making money from Monday. I just can't wait this weekend to get over. Don't know why this weekend is so long. I will kill the market. After making some big profitable trades, I'd leave the job and start trading full time. This is my shot at becoming my own boss. Bring it on.
11. I am shocked. This moving average combination worked so fine during my paper trading but it did not work in my first trade. Let me change the parameters of moving average. Now it should work.
12. This moving average is not just working the way it was described in the book. I am getting a lot of whipsaws. I think I need to add one more indicator like RSI or MACD.
13. Bloody hell, This is still not working. I lost 8 out of 10 trades. I can not handle volatility and can not afford wide stop losses. So, Let me change my time-frame from Daily to 30 minute.
14. Oh my God, I did 20 trades and 17 resulted in losses. What am I missing?
15. I talked about my situation in one of the FB groups that I joined. And the senior members told me that reading books is not enough. One needs practical learning too and they suggested me to attend a couple of seminars and workshops where I can get the hands on practical learning.
16. I've attended few seminars which costed me dearly. But I'm shocked that there are no significant improvements in my result. Actually, the trading signals on my charts come with a delay. By the time I take notice, market already makes a move and I do not want to chase the market because that would spoil my risk-reward ratio. So, I need a paid charting platform with an alert system.
17. My new paid charting platform looks so good and I also boasted in front my office trader friends and they all feel that I have graduated to the next level. Now, no one can stop me from becoming successful.
18. Damn ! I am still unable to avoid big losses and end up cashing out small profits. I have lost a lot of money and confidence. I need to take a break and attend one more seminar by that new teacher. I have seen seen his Youtube videos and he is really good. Plus, he sounds pretty humorous too and makes complex concepts sound quite simple. I really feel this is going to change everything. Generally, it's the last key in the bunch that opens the lock. I've found that last key.
19. Oh my God ! I am still losing money. Nothing works. I think the only way to make money is through "Algorithm-Trading". These algo-traders make all the money that poor guys like me lose. I have got to shift onto algo-trading.
20. I just can't believe that I have lost more money. Actually, trading is gambling. I was completely wrong about thinking of it as a money making venture. But, I have to recover my money anyhow.
21. I lost more money because in order to recover, I took bigger bets. I can not even tell my wife now, as I had told her last month itself that I had quit trading. I need to close the trading account anyhow.
22. Wait ! My friend just told me that he uses this 'Supertrend' indicator and it works every time. Man, I should have talked to him when I started. Nevertheless, Let me give myself one more chance and use this supertrend indicator.
23. Oh, I lost more money. Now, I have to postpone buying the car. In fact, to be frank, I can't even buy a bike now.
Did it Ring some bells ?
It can go on and on and on. Every beginner trader is prone to get trapped into this deadlock, sometime or the other. Financial industry has most number of quacks & frauds and since beginners are quite vulnerable and want to make too much money too soon, they get into the trap easily. Get out of this trap before it leads to financial loss and most importantly, emotional damage. In fact, the damage passes on to next generation as well. See when a person enters the market with the wrong mindset and gets failed, he gets into thinking that stock market is gambling and no one can make money here. And he passes this message to his children when they grow up and this loop of misinformation keeps going on. The only defense that you have, against these traps, and the only way to achieve success in trading, is self empowerment through education.