Hackers demand $6 mln ransom from Travelex

On January 1st the world’s largest argest foreign exchange bureau which specializes in international payments, Travelex, got hacked. The hackers used the the Sodinokibi ransomware on New Year’s Eve to breach the bureau’s systems. After the hack the perpetrators made an initial demand for 3 million dollars, threatening that if they don not get paid they would release over 5GB of clients’ personal data, which includes social security numbers, dates of birth and payment card information into the public domain and that they would delete the company’s systems. The ransom was later increased to 6 million dollars.

I am used to hearing about cryptocurrency exchanges getting hacked, but this seems even more alarming. What is next, a bank getting hacked?

Re: Hackers demand $6 mln ransom from Travelex

mlawson71 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:42 am On January 1st the world’s largest argest foreign exchange bureau which specializes in international payments, Travelex, got hacked. The hackers used the the Sodinokibi ransomware on New Year’s Eve to breach the bureau’s systems. After the hack the perpetrators made an initial demand for 3 million dollars, threatening that if they don not get paid they would release over 5GB of clients’ personal data, which includes social security numbers, dates of birth and payment card information into the public domain and that they would delete the company’s systems. The ransom was later increased to 6 million dollars.

I am used to hearing about cryptocurrency exchanges getting hacked, but this seems even more alarming. What is next, a bank getting hacked?
Wtf? Any updates on this? Travelex is probably the largest currency exchanger in the world. I actually worked for them about 10 years ago as a clerk.

Crazy. They might have to pay up! :eh:
Important: The worst forex brokers of all time 👎