Re: Cryptocurrency

UK’s Financial Coinbase announced it has obtained an e-money license from the British regulator FCA. Abiding by the FCA requirements, Coinbase will be keeping clients in segregated funds and will observe operational standards on par with the other regulated financial institutions. Additionally, Coinbase announced it is adding support for UK’s Faster Payments Scheme (FPS). It will replace the SEPA system for UK customers and will offer a familiar payment experience and is supported by all major UK banks.

I think in the future we'll be seeing more and more exchanges attempting to get official licenses and going mainstream. Hopefully that will improve security as well.

In the meantime, many brokers grow angry with themselves that they introduces Bitcoin and Co. due to the high risk and the Bitcoin-traders are mostly noobs attracted by the big hype. They brokers remind the SNB-bomb on 15. January 2015 (some brokers warned long before) and what happened then, also thanks to drooling noobs.

After the big fall of BTCUSD I thought ok, when there are Futures now and the big rush is over I could try it as well. No, when I see the huge Spread I have to pay I must be a hodler and I'm not that stupid to hodl Bitcoins, neither as currency (I don't want to waste the energy I use in a month for a buy/sell) nor as Futures/CFD.

Bittrex, a major US-based crypto- and altcoin trading platform, announced it is delisting 82 altcoins from its platform by the end of March.

According to the announcement, the reasons for the decision include poor liquidity and “broken blockchains or wallets that will not allow withdrawals.” Others have been abandoned by their developers or have been designed as pump-and-dump schemes and scams.

Once the wallets of the coins are removed from the platform, clients will no longer be able to recover and withdraw them, nor refunds will be possible.

FrancoisT wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:56 pm It looks too many cryptocurrencies on the market and by removing those with low liquidity maybe the expected effect would be to increase the liquidity over the rest or at least over the most traded :)
I hope so. Time will tell whether it will have such an effect.

mlawson71 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:36 am

I hope so. Time will tell whether it will have such an effect.
Here is also another point that might appears as additional stone on the road and this is higher margin requirements for trading crypto currencies. ESMA regulations would push to set margin requirements at 50% (if I am not mistaken).

FrancoisT wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:56 pm

Here is also another point that might appears as additional stone on the road and this is higher margin requirements for trading crypto currencies. ESMA regulations would push to set margin requirements at 50% (if I am not mistaken).
Yes, it's 50%. I am unsure whether they mean cryptocurrencies or cryptocurrency CFDs though.